Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning and Oiling My Machine >

Cleaning and Oiling My Machine

Cleaning and Oiling My Machine

Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by lalaland
No oiling computerized machines,
Several people have made this statement but it is not true. For instance, the Bernina 440QE is certainly a computerized, modern machine, but it does require regular oiling. There's even an oil can icon that comes up to remind you to add oil to the bobbin hook area. For any machine, look at your manual or ask your dealer. If your machine needs to be oiled, you could ruin it by not oiling, on a regular basis.
I need to clarify, this is true, all machines need to be oiled, whether they are computerized or not, and the suggestion is to take computerized machines in yearly to have this done, the issue being you do not want to drip oil on the computer circuit boards that are in your machine. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have found my computerized machines just don't require the same maintenance as my mechanical ones.

You can oil your computerized machine, you will have to take it apart to do this, just means you have to remove the top and the side where the needle assembly is, and oil only the moving parts and be careful, 2 drops, maybe 3 at the most. The Bernina obviously has it's computer components located in areas not likely to be touched by oiling, a great maintenance and cost saving feature. This may also be the case with the CS6000i since "seizing up" has been recorded as a problem with this machine and machine owners have opened and oiled these machines themselves with good results and no effect on the computer abilities of the machine.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The newer machines all have encased systems that do not require oiling. If your machine required oiling, the instructions would be in the manual.
That gives me peace of mind. My Janome instruction book does not say to oil...only shows how to clean the bobbin case.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Originally Posted by Prism99
The newer machines all have encased systems that do not require oiling. If your machine required oiling, the instructions would be in the manual.
That gives me peace of mind. My Janome instruction book does not say to oil...only shows how to clean the bobbin case.
But even on a Janome you put a drop of oil in the bottom of the bobbin case (about a 1/8"diameter center that looks like white felt). If you put your finger on it and and it's dry, add a drop of oil.