Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oiling

I have a Brother's computerized sewing machine and I could not find a way to oil it. My quilter said they did not have to be oiled. True or false . If true, please tell where to oil it.
    Thanks
    Dude

Blog Entries
    All machines have to be oiled everytime you use them they need one drop of oil in the right place. Look in you manual or on the internet and find that one place. This will keep your machine alive for many years. I have a computerized Janome, Brother Singer, FW and "Tin Lizzie"longarm. They all get fed.

i have a comp also was told it ever needed to oiled just cleaned ,well ive had my machine for 15 years runs just like a new one, so dont really know if you can or cant , but someone on here will be able to answer your question, i have heard the new machines dont need oiling,

Be careful about oiling, your can ruin the electronics. You may want to put a bit of oil in the bobbin area when you clean it. Check your manuel.

Blog Entries
    what does your manual say about oiling???

Quote Originally Posted by dude
    I have a Brother's computerized sewing machine and I could not find a way to oil it. My quilter said they did not have to be oiled. True or false . If true, please tell where to oil it.
    Thanks
    Dude

Blog Entries
    I have the Brother PC6000 Computerized machine. I don't see anything in the manual about oiling anywhere. There's no holes at the top like old Singer have either.

I just tried calling a service tech today to see about it getting a check up. Runs perfectly but the auto threader is acting up. It hasn't had a check up since I bought it over 7 years ago (oh my 7 years! :) )

Blog Entries
    Both of my newer machines do not need to be oiled, they are sealed units... Warranties can be void if you oil and the manual says not to :wink:

My machine (singer) says DO NOT OIL... not all machines need to be oiled.. check your manuel and if in doubt... call the manufacturer.

Blog Entries
    I am on my 3rd brother and oil was not mentioned in the manuals. I wouldn't oil anything until I called the customer service number in the manual to ask them. I think they are going to tell you it needs no oil.
    Now, when you have it serviced it is possible the serviceperson will oil it.
    Use our search field and searh 'oil'. There are lots of post on this topic that might give you additional information too. This is a good one. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45573-1.htm
    Good luck.
    Regards, Dorothy

a repairman told me to always lower the pressure foot befor using the auto threader,the auto threader is the first thing to mess up

Not all machines need to be oiled.

On my Bernina 630, I will get a message stating time for a touch of oil and I had been shown where it goes. But I must caution everyone, do not leave your fray check next to your little oil container. Not that I would EVER make that kind of mistake........ again. LOL. My fray check is now clear on the other side of the room way out of range of any machine. I just saw $$$$ floating over my head. Fortunately I did catch myself before more then a drop hit and was able to clean it out. I should make a list of what is right-hand rules...these, for those who are in business may understand what these are. But I will see if I can come up, for fun, some right hand rules of quilting and anyone can then add to it. It's just a fun thing but can be rather enlighting.

blue

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    All machines have to be oiled everytime you use them they need one drop of oil in the right place. Look in you manual or on the internet and find that one place. This will keep your machine alive for many years. I have a computerized Janome, Brother Singer, FW and "Tin Lizzie"longarm. They all get fed.
    Not true, I have an Elna, NO oil
    I do use a Q-tip with oil for the bobbin trace but is all.

There was another thread here not to long ago on the same issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dude
    Thanks
    Dude
    I have a Brother and the manual says not to oil it, so I don't.

My Pfaff 2144 doe not have to be oiled either. My dealer says it have to have regular tune ups but not to oil it in between times. I figure she knows what she is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I have 3 Viking's and they do not get "fed". Not all machines require oiling. Just google your machine manufacturer and look up your machine for the answer if no one here has the same machine. Happy Quilting!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Makes me think of a story...
    When I moved out on my own, I bought myself a kenmore sewing machine from Sears. LOVED that machine, sewed MANY a project on it. Fast forward about 15 years...took my husband to a quilt class. He used my old kenmore and I used the new machine he bought me. The teacher commented on the noise the machine made and asked when the last time it was oiled. I said "um...it needs to be oiled?" She blanched white and nearly fell over! She then proceeded to stop the class while she serviced the machine. I thought she was going to confiscate my machines. (As an aside, the noise she was speaking of was one the machine had made ever since following bad advice of "oh just sew right over the pins." Her servicing did nothing for the noise.) The Kenmore still sews fine and I still love it...although it gets a little confused sometimes....

My Pfaff is not supposed to be oiled. It says not to in the manual so I don't

I never oil any of my machines that say, "Do not oil". They do need lubricating, but done by the dealer when they are taken in for servicing. IMO, it's a good idea to have your machines cleaned/serviced regularly by a professional. That's one of the reasons I'm so glad I have a trustworthy dealer from whom I buy my machines and to whom I can take them for service and/or repair. The more expensive the machine, the higher the price tag, though, on having it serviced. My contribution to keeping my machines in working order is to keep them as lint- and dust-free as I can.

No the newer machines you do not want to oil.

My first Viking required no oil, my new Janome, no oil. My Juki - oh yes...she makes up for the other two! ~LOL~

Check the Owners Manual. Many of the newer machines do not require oiling.

Blog Entries
    The manual for one of my Janome's says not to oil it, only to have a service person do the oiling. I know nothing about Brother machines, but maybe they are set up the same way?

I have been told by Service people that on Computerized Machines the only place to put One Drop of oil is in the Bobbin Case. No Oil for the Top as it's Computer and we don't oil out PC's.

Hi
    I have a Brother and a Husquarna as well and they are self-lubricated. They are made from special materials, that does not need oiling. That is my understanding, buy the way my Husquarna has not been oiled for 10 years and works fine.
    Have a great day, I hope it helps
    Zuzi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast