Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use??? >

Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use???

Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use???

Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 AM

I use my Bernina 440QE for quilting and piecing. Also my Bernina 1090.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM

I might have said my Viking Designer 1 but after only 6 years, the head needs to be replaced. I already replaced the thouch pad behind the buttons. It's a fabulous machine, not built to last. They act as if I should upgrade to the Top of the Line every few years. That's great for them. I have been waiting for a new head (on back order) since August. My machine has low hours on it, since I took up hand applique 3 years ago. I only use the embroidery unit to make quilt labels and name tags. I am seriously looking for a different brand dream machine.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
I did use a janome for piecing but it quit tonight. My husband has informed me that a sewing machine is a luxury so I am not going to be quilting for awhile.
Excuse me??? A luxury? He would have an unhappy wife and no cooking for a loooong time if it was me.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Bernina 630 for piecing and usually rent the longarm at LQS unless I quilt ITD. Also have an older Janome 4400, love it if I am using the embroidery unit on Bernina then piece on Janome.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM

For piecing I use a featherweight and for quilting I use my new 830 Bernina, When my husband gets the belt on the old 1902 tredle I will use it for piecing. :thumbup:
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM

There's a saying in my house. *When momma ain't happy, nobody's happy*. My DH lives by these words! What momma wants, momma gets (providing we can afford it, and I am the one who handles all the money, so I make the call). My DH has never denied me anything I wanted, tho sometimes maybe he should, LOL. And I have always been a stay at home wife/mother.

And my dream machine is a Babylock Symphony. We can't afford it right now tho.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 AM

That viking sounds awful,Most of them are in pretty good shape I have had a Bernina 930 for a bunch of years toooo many to remember, Never been in the shop for anything I pd $1,300.00 for it been offered $1,000.00 for it recently by a Bernina shop owner,BUT I clean it every time I change the bobbin and oil it around the bobbin part, clean out all the fuzz,I have quilted a bunch of quilts on it with stippling , Don't buy the cheap machines from Walmart, A friend who lives locally bought one, pieced eight tops at her local church , small ones for charity , it quit and walmart says TOUGH,If you don't do machine embroidery most of the top name brands sell good machines for a few hundred dollars :roll:
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Melinda, My dream machine, on my bucket list was a new Bernina 830 with all the bells and whistles,I am in my middle 70's. My younger sister is a few years younger, I am in her will, , she is now a widow, she decided since I am older I will possible go before her so I get my inheritance, so much every year, That is how I got my beautiful Corvette and the new 830 Bernina, I was a stay at home mom, no paycheck of my own,I know what it is to depend on a husband for everything , :lol:
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
I did use a janome for piecing but it quit tonight. My husband has informed me that a sewing machine is a luxury so I am not going to be quilting for awhile.
Hmmm, does your hubby sit in his chair and watch television? Televisions are definitely a luxury, as is his easy chair. Having a full-time housekeeper, maid, nanny, etc, is also a luxury. Tell me, what does his television produce, or contribute to the family?

Grrrr! can you tell I'm fuming?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Quilting is NOT a luxury...it is a way to express yourself and to make beautiful items for your home and as gifts for others. It seems, IMHO, that a comment like that from a husband is disrespectful to you as a person. Your mental health depends on having interests and making a quality life for yourself. I am in total agreement with other people's comments about his having a TV, home services, meals, etc. BTW, does HE have any hobbies? All hobbies cost money. I would never wish to stir up conflict in your marriage, but don't lose sight of the fact that each of us has a need to be happy and fulfilled. Good luck. (Also, don't buy a cheap machine...you'll just be frustrated and out $100. Get a previously-owned high quality machine from a reputable store that can provide service and classes.)