Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay Show Me Your Denim Quilts!!!!

The rag times are a great way to use denim and I have made them with just denim and flannel and they are fine without any batting. The more they are used and washed the softer and cozier they become.

I don't have one but wanted to WOW to the ones that have been posted. I've only seen ones made from squares sewn together how nice to see some other ideas. Makes me want to go cut up some jeans :), but the truth is I need to finish some of the ones I already have started.

These quilts are great! I have a stack of old jeans with worn-out knees, and I was thinking of making a quilt. Now I'm inspired!

To avoid the quilt getting so heavy, I use denim shirts, skirts, and dresses, and only lightweight jeans. I also hand quilt them using pearl cotton and 1/4" stitches.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've made one also I will post later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Alright I have a bunch of Denim and I want to make a quilt for my son out of it. But I need to get some ideas as to what I want to do.

Do I want a rag quilt, do I want something like a DP9? I dont know but I like the modern look of the different sized blocks in different shades. Kinda like the Partridge Family bus paint job.......

So post some pics of yours or you favorite designs so I can get an idea as to what I am shooting for.

Billy
    Here a couple that my MIL made for our son. She makes the lap quilts for all the GKids for their 3rd birthday. She made place mats for all the GKids also when my FIL past away from his jeans and square dancing shirts. There is also a napkin from the shirt fabric to match.

Oopps! Sorry it's sideways!
    Name:  Attachment-104039.jpe
Views: 375
Size:  47.8 KB

Watever pattern you choose, remember denim is very heavy and denim quilts are very, very heavy. So, don't make it too big, and give it to someone strong. My friendship group made a couple of these for charity quilts and we just sewed squares together, some with pockets with hankerchiefes poking out. We did not use batting but we did use fleece for the backing and they were a big hit.

I make denim quilts for Operation Quiet Comfort for our wounded warriors.
    Directions at:
    www.operationquietcomfort.org

I made this one using the link to a tutorial on this site. I always take gifts for my grandson when I see them, I will be flying on Friday to visit my son and his family.

Full size view
    Name:  Attachment-104056.jpe
Views: 451
Size:  54.3 KB

close up
    Name:  Attachment-104057.jpe
Views: 445
Size:  46.9 KB

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have 3 denim quilts but I just cut squares and sewed them together. I backed one with T-shirts. Backed 1 with an old blanket and buttons on the front. The other just had a solid backing. All were hand tied. I am proud of them but I don't think I want to show pic's.
    I made two for my grandsons' beds but did the same thing. Just 8" squares and a flannel sheet for the batting, then another flannel sheet for the back. They're so heavy that flannel or another kind of sheet, or light blanket is best for backings.

I have got to quit visiting this board. Now I have another project to add to my list of projects to do !!!

I made a rag quilt. I used denim and fllannel blocks. It came out very nice

The backs of these quilts are made with my sons' jeans and the fronts from their dress shirts. They were made for their fiancees'.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59901-1.htm

Here is mine (pretty basic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Okay for the rag type of quilts do you sew the flannel backing on the blocks before assembly? I was noticing on one of the quilts that the flannel was showing the flannel baking in the raggedy parts.

Billy

i can't show you the one i started b/c it's buried somewhere in my sewing room closet. it's probably my oldest UFO! it was a crazy quilt style and i got stuck b/c i didn't know much about quilting at the time. maybe someday.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Okay for the rag type of quilts do you sew the flannel backing on the blocks before assembly? I was noticing on one of the quilts that the flannel was showing the flannel baking in the raggedy parts.

Billy
    Yes, the flannel is sewn to the denim first. Here's a tutorial that
    shows the quilt being made with batting in the squares. When using denim, there is really no need for batting!
    Oops, forgot the link!
    http://jenyu.net/make/ragquilt.php

Some advice and tips, directions etc. here:

http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    I made these out of my dad's old jeans when he died for my siblings & myself. Some of his clothes are in there too.
    Where your squares for (1sq) denim on one side and then flannel on the back side of the same square?

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    I made these out of my dad's old jeans when he died for my siblings & myself. Some of his clothes are in there too.
    Where your squares for (1sq) denim on one side and then flannel on the back side of the same square?
    Cut out your denim square and a flannel square the same size.
    Place them WRONG sides together and stitch an "X" (or whatever) to hold them
    together. When putting the blocks together, face two denim sides RIGHT sides together and sew with a half inch seam allowance. This is the seam you will snip later to cause the fabric to fray when washed.
    Does this answer your question?

I have made 2 denim quilts. For both of them I just cut up squares and used regular quilting cottons on the back. They are not fancy but serviceable and easy to care for. They were for my 2 boys when they went off to college.
    No batting though--they are so heavy as is.

Sorry about no pics--I don't own a camera or cell phone and don't know how to post if had the equipment.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    Cut out your denim square and a flannel square the same size.
    Place them WRONG sides together and stitch an "X" (or whatever) to hold them
    together. When putting the blocks together, face two denim sides RIGHT sides together and sew with a half inch seam allowance. This is the seam you will snip later to cause the fabric to fray when washed.
    Does this answer your question?

No, I already knew how to do it. I was just wondering how maggimay put hers together. Thank you anyway.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianLoon
    Here is mine (pretty basic)
    What are all the pictures in the squares? It looks a little more than basic to me.

Here a couple of photos of my recycled denim rag quilt made for our son!

whole quilt
    Name:  Attachment-104328.jpe
Views: 1574
Size:  85.1 KB

close up of embroidery example
    Name:  Attachment-104329.jpe
Views: 656
Size:  120.2 KB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tebill
    Here a couple of photos of my recycled denim rag quilt made for our son!
    I really like this one and the fact that it has the embroidery on the blocks just sets it off!

Another question......What thread did you guys use to make the quilt with. I have a ton of upholstery thread I could use.

Billy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast