Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Okay Show Me Your Denim Quilts!!!!

Blog Entries
    Here are two of mine. I am working on a third. I decided it is fun to work on blue jeans and learn to recycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Not only is this a denim quilt, it is also my first quilt.
    Beautiful quilt!! You did a great job with your denim! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by tebill
    Here a couple of photos of my recycled denim rag quilt made for our son!
    Great quilt!! I've made a couple rag quilts but not with denim. Do you use batting in them? Seems like it might be too thick. I've been wanting to make one but am not sure what pattern to use.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    No batting. Flannel on one side, denim on the other side

I noticed on one of the links, that you guys said that denim quilts need to have a larger seam allowance. Can someone tell me why?

I love my denim quilt to keep in the car. I had it on the bed and even though it is not filled with a batting, it is so heavy that by morning, it has pulled itself right off the bed onto the floor. But its great in the woods cause weeds won't stick.

Here's a denim quilt I made over 10 yrs ago. Both my younger boys used it regularly for soccer game bundling, then older son had it all thru college in Tempe & law school in Boston as his dorm quilt. It now is residing w/my 20yo son in Colorado as he found work there for now.

Thanks! I didn't use batting as it was already very thick and heavy. I used flannel on the back. I just used regular sewing thread other than for the embroidery of course. I also wrote words with bleach - something new to me. Our son is into recycling big time so I used denim from hubby's old jeans etc. Denim makes for a very heavy quilt so it's not for everyone in my opinion.

I made this for our grandson from his grandpa's jeans, used the pockets and belt loops too.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    I noticed on one of the links, that you guys said that denim quilts need to have a larger seam allowance. Can someone tell me why?
    In rag quilting, the seam allowance is snipped to facilitate fraying.
    A larger seam allowance lets you snip about 1/4" without cutting into the seam. Clear as mud?

There are also special rag quilt scissors which work so well! It's like cutting butter! I had forgotten that I bought a pair a couple of years ago and developed blisters using my spring scissors. Oh, what a treat when I discovered the rag ones in my scissor drawer!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Goodyear
    I made this for our grandson from his grandpa's jeans, used the pockets and belt loops too.
    This is the pattern I have been looking for and couldnt find it. You had this posted a while back if I remember correctly. What did you use for a backing material and did you use batting?

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
    In rag quilting, the seam allowance is snipped to facilitate fraying.
    A larger seam allowance lets you snip about 1/4" without cutting into the seam. Clear as mud?
    ==================

Yes thank you.

Blog Entries
    They are all so nice!! I have had it on my to do list for awhile - just haven't gotten to it yet.

I did some rag quilts with alternating jean and batik blocks. (used the accuquilt die) I only used two layers--jeans and batiks, no flannel or batting.They came out beautiful and I had hopes of making 10 more for siblings for Christmas until I broke the washing machine. When my husband took my maytag apart, it was blocked up with strings! He cleaned it out real good. Boy! was he mad when I did it again with the next day! I still had another two quilts to fuzz up.

Elizabeth

I had read that you need very large machines and that you should head to the laundromat. I was very glad that I did because of the lint involved! I felt badly that their machines had all that lint but realized that their drains are different from home machines. It also was easier to remove the lint from the commercial dryers every few minutes.

Blog Entries
    This is one I have started out my husbands old overalls. I'm just
    planning on doing a rag top and no backing unless I change my mind. I like the back side with the "x"stitching I used to applique the hearts showing.

Joe's overalls
    Name:  Attachment-104405.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  32.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    planning on doing a rag top and no backing unless I change my mind. I like the back side with the "x"stitching I used to applique the hearts showing.
    I like it the way it is. I bet it would look great with flannel.

All the photos are so beautiful! I guess this Fall I'll have to make another one!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I have been stockpiling our old jeans and flannel shirts from Goodwill to make a manly man quilt for one of my sons. My plan was to make blocks of 4- or 9-patch alternating the plaids with the denim, but now I'm getting derailed -- may make the fake cathedral windows instead. Thanks for all the advice on fraying and backing, ladies.

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I just worked so hard stitching those hearts I hate to cover it up. LOL

Thank you. I just worked so hard stitching those hearts I hate to cover it up. LOL
    Keep it that way. Back it with flannel and use it. I bet that would be comfy and warm.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi Billy, I have a couple already on the board, and am getting ready to rush through another one for my grandsons birthday. I don't know how you look them up. God bless.

Here is my denim quilt...the back was strips of denim and the front was a panel. I tied it with the ties being on the denim side.

Back of quilt (the jeans part)
    Name:  Attachment-104440.jpe
Views: 120
Size:  90.2 KB

Front of quilt (panel)
    Name:  Attachment-104441.jpe
Views: 299
Size:  130.8 KB

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth
    I did some rag quilts with alternating jean and batik blocks. (used the accuquilt die) I only used two layers--jeans and batiks, no flannel or batting.They came out beautiful and I had hopes of making 10 more for siblings for Christmas until I broke the washing machine. When my husband took my maytag apart, it was blocked up with strings! He cleaned it out real good. Boy! was he mad when I did it again with the next day! I still had another two quilts to fuzz up.

Elizabeth
    I've done that too!!!!! Except mine was my Son's flannel rag quilt.
    Boy was he P.O.'d when he cleaned that front loader out. Mine did it the next day too! I think it was left-overs in the trap.
    Good thing he's an ex now... ROFLMBO
    :XD:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast