Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
okay to spray baste a wall hanging that won't be washed? >

okay to spray baste a wall hanging that won't be washed?

okay to spray baste a wall hanging that won't be washed?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 AM

I am getting ready to quilt a wall hanging made of batiks. I plan to give to my son and his bride-to-be as a wedding gift. I will be SID and doing some hand quilting. I have read today that starching the backing will help, so I plan to do that. I'd also like to spray baste. Because I have a variety of colors and did not prewash the batiks, this hanging will probably never get washed. So is starching and spray basting a bad idea?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Some insects like to eat starch.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 AM

You can spray baste any quilt. I've found, however, that if I heavily starch the backing it doesn't want to stick. I always end up using a few pins here and there (especially around the edges) and move them as I get to them. Kind of a rock and a hard place: starch makes the back stay smooth and prevents the spray baste from sticking. I starch lightly or not at all. Good luck with your project--please post a pic when you're done!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Okay. It sounds like I may want to skip the starch, which will probably be fine, and it is only 4' X 4'. I will definitely pin also, especially around the edges. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM

I'd never assume that even a wall hanging won't be washed due to dust in the air if nothing else. Hopefully there won't be a problem w/bleeding if it gets washed.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

starch will effect the spray adhesive- choose one or the other- not both- quite often starched fabric will not (take) fusables- or adhesives.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

the normal recommendation for wall hangings- some quilts is to vacuum them---not wash them- if the need arises.
Originally Posted by romanojg
I'd never assume that even a wall hanging won't be washed due to dust in the air if nothing else. Hopefully there won't be a problem w/bleeding if it gets washed.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the normal recommendation for wall hangings- some quilts is to vacuum them---not wash them- if the need arises.
Originally Posted by romanojg
I totally understand that but that being said I know that my house gets really dusty living in town without central ac and close to a street. Sometimes things need to be washed. I just error on the side of caution. I know a few people that because they are the way they are would have to wash them. Like I said I just don't take for granted that it will never get washed. Things and life happen.