Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old clothing quilt - help needed >

Old clothing quilt - help needed

Old clothing quilt - help needed

Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
my friend's mom passed away, what we did was cut the clothing into strips, then sewed the strips together, then cut the strips into squares or whatever I wanted and made teddy bears. I made 4 and she gave them to her siblings. Let me see if I can post a photo
What beautiful bears! I never would have thought of that but it is such a wonderful idea.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM

If you do not have enough for a full quilt; you could just make a quilted shawl; if possible keep the pockets and use them as pockets on each end. If you have enough ; make it reversable using the rest of the fabric. blocks do not have to be all the same fabric as they are cut into small pieces; but stabilizer on some would probably help with the quilting aspect of making a shawl quilt.

Last edited by quiltapillow; 06-28-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: left out an s in blocks
Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 AM

Did you ask the relative WHAT SIZE (or type of momento) she was thinking she would get back? If she's thinking she's getting a queen size quilt and gave you less than a throw size amount of fabric...she's going to be unhappy.

Is she expecting you to ONLY use the clothing she gave you, or did she say to add in whatever you needed?

I REALLY LIKE the teddy bears above. Even though I've never made a teddy bear...I LOVE the idea of it 1)being scrappy and 2) no thought needs to be made about which fabrics go with one another...they'll all go together in the end and 3) all types of fabrics can be used and 4) it's adorable!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.... (This place is amazing... varied ideas from all of you have gotten my creative juices flowing again.) I have no restrictions on what I do with the clothes, and I will find out what my cousin's bedroom colors are from his wife so I can tie in some colors that would go with their decor. I still think I'm going with a bed runner but that may change when I get to cutting these clothes up and find out exactly what I have.

Thank you all again.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 AM

@Sept97 I love the teddy bears that you created from old shirts.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM

As long as all of the clothes have been washed, it's okay to mix blends with cottons. Back when my grandmother was quilting, folks used whatever fabric was available. Just make sure they can all be washed/cleaned, the same way.

I'm with Neesie. All this fabric has been washed, and it won't make any difference anymore. If there are wools or other things, make something different from them, as the bed runner.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Years ago, out forequilters used any fabric they had on hand. If you don't think you have enough fabric from your aunt, try showcasing her fabric with complimentary fabric.

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
As long as all of the clothes have been washed, it's okay to mix blends with cottons. Back when my grandmother was quilting, folks used whatever fabric was available. Just make sure they can all be washed/cleaned, the same way.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
I am at a quandary as to what to do with old clothes to make a quilt. My aunt passed away and my cousin gave me a some clothes to work with. I have a few problems...

1: My aunt ripped out all the labels. so I'm guessing here, as to what type of fabric I've got. (Some I'm sure are 100% cotton... others are a mystery as to the percentage of cotton in them.)

2: Most of them are all light colors... lots of white and pale colors.

3: I don't believe I have enough to make a decent size lap quilt, so I was thinking about doing a bed runner.
(any one have any suggestions on a pattern?)

4: Since I have a mess of mixed content fabrics... I was thinking I should be doing these on a foundation block. ???

5: I need a very simple pattern that will go together quickly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that you talented quilters here well point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help with this project I've gotten myself into.
I helped a friend do a lap quilt with 8 of her dad's poly/cotton shirt s----------got plenty of leftovers. Did about 10 tissues covers too. Now we're going to do a hanging catchall (like the little guys car garage pockets) for her bathroom, using the pockets and some of the plackets and color units for tops of bigger pockets.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I helped a friend do a lap quilt with 8 of her dad's poly/cotton shirt s----------got plenty of leftovers. Did about 10 tissues covers too. Now we're going to do a hanging catchall (like the little guys car garage pockets) for her bathroom, using the pockets and some of the plackets and color units for tops of bigger pockets.

Used turning 20 for the lap quilt but any scrap pattern would work. Simple square blocks would be fine-------or D9P or rail fences or for that matter, any scrapy using HST