Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Machine for daughter

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar

Sewing Machine for daughter

My 26 year old daughter is ready for her sewing machine. She has used mine and is slowly catching "the bug". I am a Bernina owner x 3 but my retired budget can't do that brand any longer. I want her to begin on a good,basic with enough bells and whistles that she will enjoy her machine time. My favorite shop sells Baby Lock and Janome. I am leaning toward Janome. I think she can get a good, enjoyable machine. Did I mention I have another 24 year old daughter and she just flat out asked for a machine. Pinterst may be a motivation here. I want to buy something they will enjoy and in a few years, if they want more bells, embroidery modual, etc, their husbands can trade them up. (Trade the machines, not the daughters). Ha,ha. Thanks for any suggests, pro, cons. Love this board.

I think it is great that the younger folks are getting into sewing/quilting.I do not have any ideas on which machines-but I am happy your family is catching the sewing bug.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are a GREAT MOM, I would look into used machines at your Janome dealer. There should be lots of trade ins after Christmas.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-29-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

In my area, the Bernina dealer/repairman also carries Janomes...I figured if he is an expert on Berninas and also approves of Janomes, then that's good enough for me, so I got a Janome, and it's been fine.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I love my babylock, what type of sewing is she trying to do. The audreys are nice and portable. People love the. Babylock does not make any low end machines so they should all be nice
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Lucky ... I have 2 daughters whose only interest in sewing machines is too look at mine ...LOL!, maybe my granddaughters ....

I am open to many types of sewing machines. I figure it is what you bond with as the bigger names are all reliable.

Aren't you lucky that now at the end of the year most shops are having great sales. You can pick up one of the lower end machines reasonably and maybe without interest for a few months. Then let the girls do there own upgrades when they are ready.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

When I upgraded the machines in my sewing class, I purchased all Janomes and they have been great, no problems.

Since you are on a retired budget, are you looking for computerized machines or mechanical machines? You mentioned bells and whistles - are you talking only perks available on computerized machines? You didn't say what model the Bernina was that the girls were familiar with. If computerized is what you are looking for, a used machine might be a good option. Several of the machines I purchased for my class were used and they all perform as well as the new.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.