Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread nests while I'm quilting :( >

Thread nests while I'm quilting :(

Thread nests while I'm quilting :(

Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Question Thread nests while I'm quilting :(

I have a short arm machine on my quilting frame its a Janome 1600P with an 11" throat. So at the end of each bobbin I bring up my bobbin thread and tie it off then when I am starting my new stitch I start on the last 2-3 stitches, do one back stitch, I turn the wheel by hand, and I am getting these thread "bird nests" Do you even need to back stitch when starting with a new bobbin? Maybe I'm doing way to much work I so yeah the back of my quilt you can see these tiny little wads of thread...grrrr anyone know what I can do to stop this? Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 PM

When starting, I bring my thread to the top so I can tie it off later, I don't backstitch. I haven't had any trouble with birdsnest this way. Good luck
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

when you start, you have to hold on to both of the thread tails.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM

I agree with both above answers. If I'm burying the threads, I don't backstitch, just draw the threads to the top and hold onto them. If I'm doing a "utility" quilt where it doesn't matter, I'll just use the lockstitch on my Janome (the button with just a dot on it) That locks the stitches well enough. Just be careful not to have a long bobbin thread underneath.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Can you take a picture of the back and the little wads of thread??

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
I have a short arm machine on my quilting frame its a Janome 1600P with an 11" throat. So at the end of each bobbin I bring up my bobbin thread and tie it off then when I am starting my new stitch I start on the last 2-3 stitches, do one back stitch, I turn the wheel by hand, and I am getting these thread "bird nests" Do you even need to back stitch when starting with a new bobbin? Maybe I'm doing way to much work I so yeah the back of my quilt you can see these tiny little wads of thread...grrrr anyone know what I can do to stop this? Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM

I use a gene bobbin that seems to really help...I also FMQ with the feeddogs up.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

And make sure the presser foot is down. Even if you forget and make 2 stitches you get a big wad of thread on the back. Ask me how I know...
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM

Every single flippin time this happens to me, it's because I forgot to lower the presser foot. Every. Single. Ding-Dong. Time.

Grrr.

And I agree with the earlier posters who say to hold both thread tails. If you still get nesting on the bottom of the fabric, check your top thread path and make sure it's threaded correctly and is not impeded in any way.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 AM

i have the same machine. rethread it and make sure your tension is on three.
that is what fixed mine. and i only use superior thread #50 on mine. i have tried
other threads and it will not use it. make sure you oil good down by the bobbin
and also i change needles after every two quilts.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
i have the same machine. rethread it and make sure your tension is on three.
that is what fixed mine. and i only use superior thread #50 on mine. i have tried
other threads and it will not use it. make sure you oil good down by the bobbin
and also i change needles after every two quilts.
Thanks soo much! I just got superior thread #50! I had trouble with it snapping thread, and also fraying thread on the top then breaking....Blows Sew N Vac told me to try superior in it...so I shall try it as soon as I get my stitch regulator going...agh if it isnt one thing its another lol..

-The thread nests, so what I need to do then is bring the bobbin thread up to the top and hold it, put presser foot down and hold that then start...I dont need to backstich huh, just go...Ok I am up for anything Ill try it...here is a picture of what my thread nests look like and trust me, there are some that are worse then this one! :/
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384629[/ATTACH]

Thanks everyone for your help, I am going to try all this advise and hope it works and I will have learned to not do what I'm doing haha.
Attached Thumbnails photo12291310_1.jpg