Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old fabric or new? >

Old fabric or new?

Old fabric or new?

Old 01-14-2023, 04:49 AM

Currently trying to use what I have on hand ( although I drool over the new fabric lines daily!) I do a lot of scrap quilts and my friends are enablers in that when their scraps come to me, it feels like I have new fabrics. One of my quilting goals this year is to empty three big 40 gallon scrap bins and I'm halfway through one, thanks to friends helping by ironing, cutting, and sorting into useful strips lengths. I use old fabric a lot!
Old 01-14-2023, 04:52 AM

Most of my quilts are a scrappy variety of cotton fabrics. I pay no attention to how old or new. If it looks good in the quilt then in it goes. I do use color catchers when I wash them to make sure nothing bleeds. I live happily in Scrap Land.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:04 AM

From time to time, I go thru my stash and see if any fabrics just don't "zing" for my anymore. If so, I pull them out and bag them up to take to our local non-profit thrift shop. Figure let them sell it to someone that it does "zing" to or let their group of quilters make quilts out of it. This way I'm using up my enormous stash and helping out others in the long run. I've got more than I can use in my lifetime anyway. I know some of my fabrics are at least 15-20 years old.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:28 AM

I am also into picking up fabric at secondhand stores and then incorporating my finds with my stash. I love buying new fabrics but like so many other things, the price dictates what I buy.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I gave a lot of my older fabric away when moving to another house. It took up a lot of shelf space. I didn't really like it anymore and knew I would probably never use but a piece or two of it if any. I was happy to let others have it to set on their shelf. LOL
Old 01-14-2023, 06:50 AM

I use what ever fabric "fits the bill". I don't seek out older fabrics, but I certainly have a few in my stash and if one of those choices fits the quilt I am making, then I use it. From time to time I wonder if the older fabric is better or worse than what is currently being produced. I use my eyes and my fingers to let me know if it is quilt quality and worth of my time and efforts.

I tend to lean toward reproduction prints such as 30's and Civil War. They just catch and hold my eye but I use what fits the pattern and if making for a specific individual what will please the person who will be getting the quilt.

Back to the question, Yes, I use any vintage fabrics in my stash.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
Most of my quilts are a scrappy variety of cotton fabrics. I pay no attention to how old or new. If it looks good in the quilt then in it goes. I do use color catchers when I wash them to make sure nothing bleeds. I live happily in Scrap Land.
^^^^^^^^^^^ This is so me!
Old 01-14-2023, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I use all my bought fabric no matter how old it is. I seldom buy new fabric unless it’s for borders or backing.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

When Ben Franklin's fabric stores went out of business, there were two of them in my local. I bought all I could afford. It was the better end fabrics, and I knew I would use them someday in projects. I can't resist 50, 60 and 70 percent off great fabric. Could you? I bought as many blenders and neutrals as I could. The problem is that I had no shelf space and had to store them in bins. It hasn't helped me because." Out of sight, out of mind." But, I do have one planned for this year. A black, white and mixed colors one.
I truly love my older fabrics, even the scraps. I applique blocks sometimes with those smaller pieces. Getting rid of them is impossible for me.

To make matters worse, I also sew garments. So, I have those types of fabrics around in bins. Hubby thinks I am a hoarder. But, I don't think seven or eight large bins are hoarding. Do you? With the price of fabric almost quad-tripling since I started quilting, I am too frugal for that.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:32 AM

RedGarnet22, have you had to rent a storage unit to store your fabric. If not, then you are not a hoarder!