Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Portable Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabug
    I have an old portable Singer machine that is in a brown & beige case with latches on the side. The handle is marked Singer. The machine is all black no decorative markings and the number that is on a little plate at the front left side reads AM057452. There are some other numbers on the back that read
    CAT BZ 15-8
    SS AU 52-30-24
    Mfg. Elizabethport, NJ

Does anyone know what I have or direct me to a site to find out. I went to one site but the number I have wasn't there..thanks for any help.

Frankie

Yes, there is a wonderful Yahoo group for vintage Singer machines. You can search on Yahoo for "Vintage Singers" and it should come up, and you have to join.

[email protected]

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    I took these w/my iPhone, hopefully they might help with the identity. I hope I'm not being a PIA & I hope I did the attachments correctly. I'm eating purple peeps, lots of energy.
    I have a machine similar to this in the same case! Only mine is a 66 with a crackle finish paint job! She's beautiful! My husband bought her for me and inside the case is stamped Where a lady about 15 miles from me bought it in 1956! I use it all the time my husband only had to oil it and it works like a dream!

Oh my gosh....what memories the photos brought. This is the same machine my mother had when I was a child and she made all my dresses on it. Later I used it to make clothes on. How I wish she had kept it. It got damaged in a move and the insurance paid her out. She bought new machine and was never happy with it. Hope you fix her up and keep it. It you decide to sell, let me know first.

Hi
    About 40 years ago, my sister worked down the port in Elizabeth, NJ for the Singer Sewing Machine Co
    NormaBeth

Mine has the look of the 99/128, but the plate on the left side of the foot is like a half circle, and the ones I have looked at online have a rectangle shape plate, strange.
    Do you think maybe the difference is with the date mfg?
    I love my little 99. If you do the google seach using "Images" at the top, you may see one like yours, then look at that website for more info. Can you post a picture of the needle plate area?

I took these w/my iPhone, hopefully they might help with the identity. I hope I'm not being a PIA & I hope I did the attachments correctly. I'm eating purple peeps, lots of energy.
    Your picture seems to show a typical 99 slide-plate on the left, should be the typical square style...saw them on ebay for $9-$12 + shipping.

99 slide-plate goes in from the right
    Name:  Attachment-189019.png
Views: 74
Size:  66.9 KB

Blog Entries
    I think so, looks like someone put tape on for a0 5/8 in. seam. I'm really anxious to get it spruced up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just purchased a 99K a few weeks ago, at the "Red Barn".. and they gave me some yarn,(free) for my work for the NICU at our local hospital, and 2 local nursing homes..... I haven't checked it out completely yet, but it was a bargain at $6.00 YES ! I have a collection of machines,(I like my 'toys'..) as well as a pleating machine,(for smocking) Husquevarna for 'fancy work'.. a serger....knitting machine... best of all , is the Singer 319W that I purchased in 1957.. (even has 'cams' for fancy work..) Diana O. Question....who will get my 'goodies' when I gone? I'm 81 now !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2