Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Old Singer Portable with bullet bobbin >

New Old Singer Portable with bullet bobbin

New Old Singer Portable with bullet bobbin

Old 06-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Default New Old Singer Portable with bullet bobbin

Hi, I'm a new member and have this crazy obsession with old sewing machines. I have a few, but I just acquired another one that has me stumped. I would appreciate any help to identify the model and hopefully get it running with a new belt. Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Sheri
Attached Thumbnails img_0092.jpg   img_0088.jpg   img_0091.jpg   img_0093.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

It’s been refurbished or electrified or beheaded... depends on your point of view. Welcome to quilting board.

Last edited by miriam; 06-14-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

refurbished or electrified sewing machines from 1930s and 1940s
Link to info on refurbished sewing machines.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Welcome!
You have a model 27, authorized from the factory on Aug 13, 1901. It probably had much fancier decals then. Rebuilt machines with modernized decals were common from the 30s thru the 50s. I may have a rebuilt machine manual for that model, but I think it is by a different refurb company. I will look this evening.

K
Old 06-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

Before the war, and I believe for some time after, Singer stores were not allowed to refurbish or re sell any machines. The employees were required by Singer to destroy all trade ins regardless of brand. Refurbs done by Singer stores were only done during the war. Most refurbs were done by sewing stores other than Singer stores.

Cari
Old 06-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Treadle&Gears View Post
Welcome!
You have a model 27, authorized from the factory on Aug 13, 1901. It probably had much fancier decals then. Rebuilt machines with modernized decals were common from the 30s thru the 50s. I may have a rebuilt machine manual for that model, but I think it is by a different refurb company. I will look this evening.

K
I'm guessing this was at least partially refurbed in the early 1950s. It has the Revco Patch-o-Matic, Dial-o-matic tension attachment and Reverse Stitch Attachment. These items were patented about 1951.

The decals like that have been available for quite a few years.

Does your manual look like http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0203/index.htm except for 27 127 maybe with MIDEB somewhere on it? I think that those might have been from 1944. I thought I knew where mine was, but can't find it. I know it is missing the cover page.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM

I can’t find my manual either. It has a plainer white cover, and I think it is from 1943 or so. I also have the USDA sewing machine repair bulletin no. 1944.

WARNING! BORING LEGAL STUFF AHEAD!

I would guess that Sheryl’s machine was “renewed” (as it states above the SN), before 1964 (when phone numbers changed to all digits) but after Singer v. Briley in 1953, when Singer regained their trademark (they lost it in an 1896 Supreme Court case, Singer v. June). After Briley, refurbishers could use the Singer name and decals only if they also marked the machine rebuilt, by whom, stated certain modifications (like electrifying the machine), identified former treadles as such, and if they used non-Singer parts, among other things. They were also only allowed to replace the decals which the same ones they took off, not modern ones. Jones has most of the required disclosures on this 27. They cheated on the decals, though. Those look like the “trefoil” set Singer used on 15s after 1930 (there’s one on the Ismacs decal page.

We now return you to your regularly enjoyable thread.

K

Last edited by Treadle&Gears; 06-14-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Banned

That makes absolute sense. I had a 1916 66 that had been refurbed at some point by a place in Chicago. They put the Revco reverse on it but didn't use Singer decals I think, that machine had the ugliest decals I've ever seen. The paint job was really bad, you could see the original decals under it.

Cari
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM

And just because it hasn't been mentioned, you have a vibrating shuttle machine. Make sure you oil all the pint above and below the deck Be gentle with the shuttle that holds the bobbins. dropping them on their pointy ends can casue serious problems..
Old 06-16-2018, 03:30 PM

Also be careful with the flat spring (the thin metal flap covering the front of the bullet shuttle). If this is or becomes bent or bowed, the machine won’t sew right. My Household 3x has the original, but the spring is warped - probably why the previous owner thought the machine didn’t work. I use a Boye replacement and the machine sews well.

And leonf is right. Oil, oil, oil! A Singer may run months between full oilings (depending how often and hard you use it), but never let it get “dry”.

With the long bobbin machines, there should be a tiny cup with a felt or rag (the wick) in it to keep oil on the race (the curved flat track under the slide plates that the shuttle moves against). Each pass, the flat side of the shuttle spreads the oil along the race. The wick needs to be clean and kept oiled. I replaced the rotten wick on the 127 I had with a section of a red spool felt cut to fit snug and about flush ithe the top of the hole.

K