Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Singer with cabinet

Blog Entries
    I tried posting pictures of my Free sewing machine, but for some reason they didn't post. My machine looks like a sister to yours. Not much info on it. I have all the attachments and they have patented 7-91 stamped on them. ( Can this be 1891? ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I restored an old singer years ago she was rusty inside and out she was siezed up but I oiled her inside and out -it took a while and several cans of 3-in-1 oil but she is absolutely beautiful and I still use her for all my heavy quilting She was found in the trunk of a car in the junk yard. I replaced her cord with a new cloth covered cord and she purrs

How pretty!

that is really old but the cabinet would be great shined up.

OH MY GOODNESS!! I have a No5 FREE machine in a cabinet identical to yours. I have the original instruction book also. Mine belonged to my husband's great grandmother. It is in very good condition. I have sewn several things w/ it. So happy to hear someone else has one also. I'm not sure what year it is but am thinking it might be 1910-1915.

Another surprise!! You only live about 20 miles from me!!

Blog Entries
    She is a BEAUTY.
    Please don't toss her.
    If you do TOSS HER MY WAY.

J J

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32
    The machine has what is called a "vibrating shuttle". It is the case that those bobbins go into and it is essential that it be in the bobbin race for the bobbins to go into. That race goes back and forth under the throat plate. The bobbins are replaceable, you can get them online, quite a few suppliers on Ebay.
    Thanks! never thought to look there

I have a 1881 Victor that I am restoring. The straight bobbins, belts, etc. are available at sewingmachinesplus.com.
    I got really good service.

Your machine head looks exactly like my mother's Singer #27 except for the decals.

I love your machine. Just be patient in restoring. It takes a lot of time. I have to take my head all apart and clean inside. I can see the grime through the access hole. Billy's (Lost51) instructions have been invaluable.

ask billy ,ask billy
    he knows everything!

Blog Entries
    [quote=Lucy90]Hi, I got this machine & cabinet from my son's girlfriend. Anyway I love the cabinet and will redo it but the sewing machine is really rusty and I don't know if fixable. Anyway anyone know what year it could be? When the sewing machine is down the front stays down and goes up when machine is put in place. Also a picture of some bobbins (I'm thinking they are bobbins) in drawer. Thanks & have a HAPPY EASTER[I know it looks rough but with a lot of tlc I think she can be brought back to life just be patient and keep working on cleaning and oiling then let the oil set for a couple of days check out the cords if any just a safety thing first,but no matter she would be a keeper in my home working or not.]

Oh wow! I just bought one just like her on ebay what fun to get them back up and running. The site that one of the ladies suggested also has the manual on how to thread & oil and care for the machine as well as the history about her. Good luck with the restoration

It is a Free machine and should work very well once restored. There are alot of supporters in the vintage machine shop that will help you along with Billy's tutorials. Glenn has one for the cabinets also.

What a beautiful machine. Even if it doesn't sew, with a bit of TLC it will certainly be a showpiece.

beautiful machine working or not

You can find out how old your machine is by going to the Singer website and typing in the serial number. It's date and place where it was made should be listed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    I'm trying to read what it says on the treadle-I can make out "free" but that might be the clue to looking it up. Are the decals on the machine just worn off? I'll bet the machine is salvageable.

How about "Free Westinghouse"? Also, I haven't seen that type of bobbin for I don't know how many years. That machhine must be very old.

That is certainly and old one. My Mom had one with those bobbins back in the 1940's. We sorta learned to sew on it for fun. I would say that it is at least 70 years old if not older.

Wow, the cabinet alone is beautiful. Good luck with the cleaning. It looks like it will be a great addition to your sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith
    You can find out how old your machine is by going to the Singer website and typing in the serial number. It's date and place where it was made should be listed.
    Lovely though this is, I don't think its a Singer. Though the throat plates did give me a moments pause as it looked like a 127. I Think Singer being the top dog, had a lot of Me toos out there even then.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy90
    What is on top: Free Sewing Machine Co. Chicago. I also found a serial # M809178. The decals are ok in some areas. A couple of more pictures of a decal buy the plate and one on the inside of the arm.
    Be very careful cleaning the decals!!!!!!! Damp rag only. If you use any kind of cleaner the silver/gold on the decals will wash off and be ruined. Beautiful machine and cabinet!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2