Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
old Singer machine >

old Singer machine

old Singer machine

Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 PM

I see you have a Viking Sapphire...do you like it? I am thinking of getting a new sewing machine and there is just so much to chose from...I'm a little overwhelmed!!! I was looking at the 855.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 AM

I have a Singer Model 401A which I purchased in 1961. It has served me well, whether sewing clothes for my daughter, grandchildren, making quilt tops or just general repair. A few years ago I thought I wanted a new machine so I bought one, but ended up sending it back. I didn't like the cheap-looking plastic housing. I think my Singer will last me the rest of my life.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Love the manuel that came with mine. Has a 50's housewife sewing in pearls and a lace. I feel so under dressed when I use it. LOL

do you suppose if i start dressing like June Cleaver, I will start actually cookin supper every night? ha ha!
i am definately looking to see what the model number is on my treadle and getting our the pink machine to see what shape it is in. I'm starting to "get" my husbands love of old radios while enjoying the sound of digital!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
How to I obtain a link to Billy's site?
Someone already gave you a link to Billy's thread here on the board. He has also posted tutorials on how to clean vintage machines. If you look under virtual sections on the home page, there should be a section about vintage machines. It is called the 'vintage sewing machine shop.' This will have the tutorials, his 'shop', and a lot of posts from members about vintage machines. BTW, Billy is "Lostn51' if you want to check the user list and find the threads he has started.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PKWard
I see you have a Viking Sapphire...do you like it? I am thinking of getting a new sewing machine and there is just so much to chose from...I'm a little overwhelmed!!! I was looking at the 855.
I used to work for Husqvarna Viking and after learning to use all the machines in the store, the 870 is the one I used the most for sewing at work.
I bought the 870 and had it for about 6 months and traded it for the 875 when it came out.
I love my Sapphire 875. Its a wonderful machine, has a 10" throat and tons of stitches. You need to go look at www.husqvarnaviking.com so you can compare the different machines in the Sapphire line.
Take a test drive with your fabrics and thread.
Sharon W.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

I have my Grandmothers Treadle1918 Redhead Singer, sometimes referred to as Redeye but it is a Redhead. My Grandfather gave it to her for a wedding gift. I was missing a part on it since I last moved and haven't been able to use it. It was the part that held the needle. (a little important) Went last week to get my vacuum fixed and the old codger ( mind you I will soon be 72) was talking about in the old days when Singer made real sewing machines. I told him about the part I was missing and he went in the back and came out with the exact item. I am back uo and running and happy as a clam. She just purrs even better than my FW. I just ordered another Redhead that will be a hand crank to teach my grandkids on. I found where to get the crank that fits on any machine with a spoked wheel. I'm so excited..
Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I used to work for Husqvarna Viking and after learning to use all the machines in the store, the 870 is the one I used the most for sewing at work.
I bought the 870 and had it for about 6 months and traded it for the 875 when it came out.
I love my Sapphire 875. Its a wonderful machine, has a 10" throat and tons of stitches. You need to go look at www.husqvarnaviking.com so you can compare the different machines in the Sapphire line.
Sharon W.
I have the Husqvarna Viking Topaz and the Diamond and they both have the 10" throats. Of course I paid a little extra for the embroidery capabilities. I just love the Vikings; would never have any other computerized.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Sharon W.
I have the Husqvarna Viking Topaz and the Diamond and they both have the 10" throats. Of course I paid a little extra for the embroidery capabilities. I just love the Vikings; would never have any other computerized.
The Sapphire 875 is my only computerized machine. I really like the Topaz and the Diamond too. The Sappire was in my price range, the employee discount made it possible. I am mostly a quilter, so the 10" throat was
just what I was looking for. I have older Berninas, but
they have a 6.5" throat; making machine quilting a large
quilt difficult.
I really wanted the Diamond, but couldn't afford it in this lifetime. :o)
All of my others are mechanical electric or treadle machines.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 PM

A question to you knowledgeable folks out there - I have an old Singer - the black kind with the gold scrolls on it - and I am afraid to use it as the CLOTH COVERED CORD is so frayed and it really needs to be rewired and reconditioned. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost? The motor has a catalog no. on it B.U. 7-0 does anyone know what that means? I have it in a cabinet and it is a workhorse that sews through denim seams like butter and would like to see it working again, but in a safe way so I do not electrocute myself doing. it. I love my 2 Janomes and now have the old Singer as a display item. Any ideas or help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Such an interesting thread. I recently got an old treadle and electric vintage singer. Both sew beautifully. And have so much room to move the quilt around. I haven't tried to FMQ with them, but am so happy with the straight stitch. And if they could talk they could each probably tell some very good stories!!