Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • old 'wives tale?' >
  • old 'wives tale?'

• old 'wives tale?'

Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

I've tried to switch machines before finishing a quilt. My seams were slightly different on the other machine. I thought I had an accurate seam on both machines, though. I was able to finish but I had to concentrate on making everything match. Always use the same ruler when cutting out a top, too.
    Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM

If you like thin thread (it does make the seam lie nice and flat), there are several types of thin cotton threads made especially for piecing. I like both Aurifil and Presencia. The spools seem a bit pricey but last a long time.
    Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    From this comment I found on line, I wouldn't want to use bobbin thread in my quilting: "Bobbin thread is a fine thread intended only for use in the bobbin during embroidery. It is not a strong thread, so don’t use it for regular sewing. This very fine thread reduces the build-up of thread under your embroidery, reducing bulk, and making your design."
    It was at this URL: softer.http://www.meissnersewing.com/Meisne...ksJune2008.pdf
    Does this apply to pre-wound bobbins? I purchased a large quantity of pre-wounds and would hate to have to stop using them, the thread does seem thinner than the top thread I use.
    Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM

terryl: From the comment by salmonsweet it sounds like the thin threads help the seams to lie flatter. Does this seem to affect the use of the quilt? Is there any problem with the seams splitting? On your comment about pre-wound bobbins I'd just mention being careful about the age of the thread.
    Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
    Banned

as long as you measure your seam allowance and set the machine for that, or use a guide, you can use different machines!
    It is more important to use the same ruler to cut out the entire quilt so that it always accurate.

and yes, 50wt or 60 wt known as bobbin thread does lie flatter...BUT so would use thinner fabric...which is NOT something I am going to do...unless you are making a block with many points going to together in one spot like a mariner compass, then it is not really necessary to worry about thread adding thickness to your seams...the thinner thread is important in paper pieces, as it allows the paper to be removed easier and in most pp'ing projects you do have many points/seams coming together so the thinner thread would be best!

Hope all that made sense!
    Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I switch back and between two machines with no problem. Any variance in the seam allowance is operator error, not the machines in this house. I like Guterman's thread in one of my machine's bobbins. The vintage Singer doesn't hold a lot of thread and with the thin, strong poly thread, I can get more on.
    Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM

I'd def recommend using the same machine to piece with - but bobbin thread is not something I'd use for quilt piecing, it's meant for fine embroidery use. I use cotton thread only, top & bottom. :)
    Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
    Power Poster

I use prewound for embroidery mostly, I have used it on regular sewing, didn't find much of a difference, do a break test to see how strong it is, thread has come a long way since I started sewing. The advantage to using bobbin thread is that you can get a lot more on your bobbin as it is a finer thread, there usually isn't the lint on it as well that some other threads have.

Ideally it is good to stick with the same machine but due to some circumstances that isn't always possible, like other have said, check to see that you are using the same seam allowance as that will make a huge difference in the size of the blocks

In my opinion there are very few hard and fast rules to quilting. Though some instructors have the way they do it and want you to follow what they do, whether it makes sense to you or not, or works for you or not, a good instructor should be leading you to learn ways that best work for you.
    Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM

many people take a smaller machine to classes and do the rest of their work on a bigger "home" machine. the trick is to know what you need to do to get the same seam allowance on each.
    Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM

This has been an interesting discussion since I didn't know about "bobbin thread", but I will definitely look into it since I enoy doing machine embroidery. Again, I learn a lot from all you great quilters....thank you!