Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • old 'wives tale?' >
  • old 'wives tale?'

• old 'wives tale?'

Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM

You all have so much information to share! I didn't realize bobbin thread was thinner, but it makes sense. I will stick with it for embroidering but not for piecing. I will also be sure to check my guidelines to ensure the accuracy before piecing on more than one machine!! Once again, I so appreciate you! Thanks!
    Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM

I've only used "bobbin thread" for embroidery. I would not use it for regular sewing for the reason listed here.

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    From this comment I found on line, I wouldn't want to use bobbin thread in my quilting: "Bobbin thread is a fine thread intended only for use in the bobbin during embroidery. It is not a strong thread, so don’t use it for regular sewing. This very fine thread reduces the build-up of thread under your embroidery, reducing bulk, and making your design."
    It was at this URL: softer.http://www.meissnersewing.com/Meisne...ksJune2008.pdf
    Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM

I've never heard of bobbin thread, I always use the same thread for the bobbin as I'm using for the top. I agree on the same machine and the ruler. Of course I know nothing about embroidery machines and threads.
    Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM

From this comment I found on line, I wouldn't want to use bobbin thread in my quilting: "Bobbin thread is a fine thread intended only for use in the bobbin during embroidery. It is not a strong thread, so don’t use it for regular sewing. This very fine thread reduces the build-up of thread under your embroidery, reducing bulk, and making your design."
    It was at this URL: softer.http://www.meissnersewing.com/Meisne...ksJune2008.pdf
    I wasn't familiar with bobbin thread as I use the same on top & bottom........thank you for this important info.
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't think you would want to use bobbin thread for embroidery either if it isn't that strong. I WOULD use bobbin thread for piecing if that was what I had handy. I like to use 60 wt cotton silk finish embroidery thread (Mettler) for both my spool and bobbin when piecing. Lots of people use all kinds of threads, that is why there are so many threads available.
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

huh.. well I learned something new today.. :thumbup:
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM

I like using the same machine for each top because each machine has a slightly different stitch, but it is certainly NOT a rule. I do not like to use bobbin thread for piecing or quilting because it is thinner. I only use it in the bobbin when doing machine embroidery. There is less bulk to the design and it lays better.....in my opinion.
    Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 AM

Never ever knew there was such a thing as bobbin thread. This board is great, however have been perfectly content with my cotton thread so prob will not buy it, haha.
    Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 AM

I can see the same machine except you could always do the 1/4 inch seam allowance test. Sometimes teachers come across as 'this is the only way' but if you change it, the quilt police will not be knocking at your door. Not sure what the need for 'bobbin thread' is but Joann's sells it on huge spools. I just might check that out and google it. does anyone else know?
    My only issue with using bobbin thread is that it isn't as strong as regular thread. Don't know how it would hold up over time. I use it on machine embroidery, but it isn't getting any stress and is so dense there won't be a problem there. The amount of bulk regular thread adds to a seam would be so minimal that there shouldn't be a problem there. Our grandmothers didn't use bobbin thread and look what we have to remember them by.
    Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 AM

I don't use a different thread for the bobbin and as I have a newer machine and an old 1960 Singer, I never use both machines on the same quilt, I just know I would mess it up somehow. LOL