Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Olfa 45 mm Rotary Cutter >

Olfa 45 mm Rotary Cutter

Olfa 45 mm Rotary Cutter

Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
If your blade is wiggling then take the screw off and turn the washer over, the washer may not be on correctly.
This was my initial thought as well.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Beginner quilters have to have their own rotary cutter at our guild. Rulers and mats will be provided. We learned the hard way about lending rotary cutters. One beginner wanted to sue the person who loaned her one and she got nasty cut. Said she wasn't instructed in how to use it properly and wasn't told the dangers of using it. She was pressured to sue by her DH. Thankfully she backed off because of high lawyer and court fees. She is not a member and we hope to never see her again. I will never loan a rotary cutter to any one that has never used one.
Years ago when rotary cutters first became popular an instructor asked one of our class members to let me try hers and she said "Sorry I don't loan my toothbrush or rotary cutter" Short sweet and to the point!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM

If you can't fix it, contact Olfa. I have read previously that they have a great warranty and some people have received replacements.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
When you changed the blade, did you inadvertently apply 2 blades?
My brother had never used a rotary. He was cutting marine vynil and it was skipping so he thought 2 blades would cut better and that stuff was thick. Well 2 blades did not work out-the skips only got longer. He had pushed down to hard and the screw on the knob had actually bent. He tried to straighten it but it broke the plastic. After that I cut the rest of the vynil with a new rotary.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:30 AM

After far too many bad experiences, I don't let anyone use my tools. Once I allowed someone in my club use my new quilt book and saw her writing in it -- I went ballistic and she could not understand what the big deal was. Another one shredded a brand new mat because she was too cheap to replace her rotary blade.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 AM

Over the years I have found the old saying to be true, "neither a borrower nor lender be" as too many people borrow and never return or return the item broken and are horrified if asked to repair or replace the item. Being cheap is the reason they didn't buy their own to start with, and never having had a lot of money, if I have to buy my own so do they. Of course there are exceptions, but not that many. Sorry you have to buy a new one.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:33 AM

Default check your warranty

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
If you can't fix it, contact Olfa. I have read previously that they have a great warranty and some people have received replacements.
check your warranty, Fiskar sent me a new rotary cutter when mine went bad. They don't warranty blades but many of their products have lifetime warranties. Probably Olfa has something similar
Old 04-25-2015, 05:38 AM

Kitty10628,
It sounds like it is broken something inside of the of the blade holder, get a new one to be safe.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 AM

I had one rotary cutter for years and it started skipping and wobbling. Took it apart and the blade had worn a groove in the part that holds it. They do wear out after a lot of use. Your friend might have accelerated the process by pushing too hard.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

How old is the mat you are cutting on? Often times and older mat will get groves and it will cause the cutter to skip...