Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso iron dead, what to do? >

Oliso iron dead, what to do?

Oliso iron dead, what to do?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I would spend the money on a good iron if the service was top-notch but I had so much trouble with the Rowenta people that I am now going cheap with irons!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I wanted one of those after watching Jenny Doan but the reviews were not good. I have a cheap Panasonic that's lasted for years.
I also read the reviews and decided against it. Did however order the Panasonic 360 Cordless. I love it because it is so light.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Update on the iron. One of our own QB members sent me her broken iron, but it was broken in a different place. Now I have one that works. I did, in the mean time buy another Oliso, but the way I go through them, I'll need it.

Marcia
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
My beautiful yellow Oliso iron will not heat up at all. So I took it down to my repair man at the hardware store. He says it is the element and called the company to try to buy a new one. They were miffed that he had taken it apart. And they wanted to talk to me.

So I called and they said that for $69.00 (to be paid in advance) they would take a look at it and then fix it and then guarantee it for a year.

Has anyone else dealt with these folks? My gut says to just buy another iron. The problem stems from the fact that I am used to this pop up iron and leave it in the down position, as it separates itself from the ironing surface. Everything else on the iron works, just no heat.

I have two other irons that are not pop up and I am afraid that I will leave them down on the board and start a fire. I always used distilled water, but last week it began smelling hot and spitting.

Maybe I will win one on MSQC golden scratch off tickets!!!

Marcia
When my Oliso went out on me, I called them and they had me cut the cord off and mail it to them. Once they received the cord, they sent me a new Oliso iron.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:55 PM

I was told the same thing. I'm going to buy a new iron elsewhere. The new one should last longer than the guaranteed 1 year by Oliso.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM

I have a question and first want to say this is asked seriously, not to be snarky! I read on the QB that people get very disgusted with their Rowento and Olisio irons that don't seem to last very long. My question is--do others have their cheaper irons quit and don't bother to post about it cause they are cheap? Or do they just last longer?
I always buy a $25-30 Sunbeam that seems to last about 3-5 yrs and when they die, they get pitched.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 AM

The expensive Singer that I got free labout 8 years ago lasted for 5 years before it stopped heating, but it never got really hot in the first place and even when it was new I had to use the linen setting to press cotton and it was heavy and had a very inconvenient automshut off, Anyway, it stopped owrking so I tossed it, ran downstairs to the laundry room and retrieved my 20+ year old cheap Black and Decker and have been using it ever since. It gets hotter than the Singer ever did, making it much easier and quicker to press blocks or even a whole quilt top. If it breaks I’ll look for another cheap no frills Black and Decker.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Several in my sew group has the yellow Oliso and all have quit working right after the warranty was out. LOL
Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Several in my sew group has the yellow Oliso and all have quit working right after the warranty was out. LOL
hmm, how can this company stay in business with this seemingly bad track record? Where is this company located? I'm sorry, but I certainly would not but the same product, if the original one was so short-lived! That's just encouraging that company to continue its shoddy mfgring.......too many other choices out there..
as far as liking the "pop-up" feature, what did one do before buying the oliso? Just a habit that ís easily changed.....
Old 06-24-2018, 05:51 AM

I have had my Rowenta for at least 17 years and still going strong. A couple of years ago the cord developed an issue. Son replaced cord and it is as good as new. Maybe the newer ones are not built as well I have heard way too many complaints about the pricey Oliso to ever want to buy one...