Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Omnigrid cutting board is warped >

Omnigrid cutting board is warped

Omnigrid cutting board is warped

Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 AM

My cutting board is warped. Is there anyway to get it flat again? I was horrified at how much they are these days and thankfully forget how much I did pay when I purchased it 12 yrs ago. Its in great shape except for the nice wave in it (ahh). Teach me to shove it in the back of the closet and not pay attention to how the boxes were resting on it.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 AM

If it isn't warped by heat there's a good chance you can salvage it!
Lie it flat on the floor and evenly distribute some heavy books (or something similar) over the top. Leave it there for a few days and check. It might take a few weeks but it will be worth it?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 AM

I don't know if this will help but the following information came from an Olfa dealer (www.ollfadeals.com). I have never tried it but always intended to.... In order to clean and condition your Olfa rotary mat, you can actually give it a bath.
Put your mat in the bathtub and use 1/4 cup white vinegar to a gallon of tepid (not hot) water, and a couple of drops (squirt!, squirt!) of mild dishwashing soap. Using a mushroom brush or other mild bristle brush, create a lather and gently clean and condition your mat. Rinse the mat and let air dry or dry with a Turkish towel. The mats love moisture. It helps keep them supple.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 AM

I am going to give this one a try. MONTHS to straighten out? I use it daily!!! So bath time dear mat. come here.. this won't hurt a bit...
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Well, this is a last ditch recommendation but it has worked for me. Set your oven to a very low setting and place the cutting mat on a flat cookie sheet. It has salvaged one that I almost threw out. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 AM

I had sent one time to get an omni cutting board. Paid good money too, it was one of their larger ones. They sent it to me in a roll!!! Can you imagine, when I opened the box to find one big mat rolled up that I could not do diddly squat with. I called them and told them how it was shipped. They were quite appologetic and would send another right away. They said I need to repack it the way it was sent. Gladly. I did try to lay it out and put books on it, but, that did not work. I just asked for a refund instead and purchased mine in town.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by pastordianen
Well, this is a last ditch recommendation but it has worked for me. Set your oven to a very low setting and place the cutting mat on a flat cookie sheet. It has salvaged one that I almost threw out. Good luck.
thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM

If all else fails and you need to purchase a new mat, then you could use a 40% off coupon from either JoAnn Fabrics or Hancock Fabric. That's what I do when I need to replace something that costs so much. :-)