Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For? >

Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by barbo117 View Post
I guess I am selfish, I just keep on making quilts and storing them in plastic zipper bags. I don't have much family, no one cares about quilts anyway and I do have a sister in law that makes beautiful quilts herself. Anyway I cannot bear to part with them. After spending so many hours on these wonderful works of art I just cannot bear to let them go. I suppose someday when I am gone someone will pull them out and use them or sell them or whatever. I won't know anything about it and in the meantime they make me extremely happy just pulling them out and admiring.
Honestly, though, do any of us do ANYTHING that isn't selfish? I give away my quilts because I get more happiness out of them that way than if I kept them all. Similarly, I donate to charity mostly because it makes me feel good. Generous acts, sure, but I freely admit they're all selfishly motivated! If giving away my quilts made me unhappy, you can bet your sweet bippy I'd keep every single one! (What is a "bippy" anyway? And why are they sweet?)

**disclaimer: I have had a good bit of wine tonight - been celebrating 20 years with my spouse - not bad for a couple of thirty-mumble year olds! Any excessive goofiness or bad spelling can be blamed on the vino! But I'm serious about the selfish thing. I firmly believe that selfishness gets a bad reputation, I think it's necessary to avoid insanity and burnout and people should feel free to be selfish if it harms nobody else. Not to imply that you, in particular, don't feel free. I'm just sayin', in general....we all gotta take care of #1 sometimes and if (for example) something as harmless as holding onto things you've made by hand make you happy then gosh darn it you KEEP those things and BE happy and don't ever feel bad about it.

WHEW. I'm gettin' all philosophical here. It was some VERY good wine! LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Well, with a new baby in the family and that my name is the same as yours, you could send a baby quilt to me cause I don't have much time to work. khahahaha Just kidding.

Ellie

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I've been quilting three years. I've made baby quilts for my grandchildren, lap quilts for my two daughters, plan to make lap quilts for my three sisters, I would like to try a queen size quilt for my bed. Then what?? I love doing this but I'm just wondering what to do with all the quilts I want to make