Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Once you do your first stack-and-whack... >

Once you do your first stack-and-whack...

Once you do your first stack-and-whack...

Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 AM

Can't wait to do the first one!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:06 AM

Can you show a picture of that.... sounds interesting.. thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 04:12 AM

Definitely!! I wanted to just try 1, ended up doing 5 more, while going through some of my fabrics, I'll say, oh this would be pretty as a stack n whack, so would this one, etc., but have to tell myself NO MORE until I get the 15+ quilts done that are already planned with the already gathered fabric for such.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 AM

Wow, just what I need is another addiction in the quilting world. I already have an addiction to collecting fabric and patterns. Sometimes I even think of sewing in the middle of the night. Anybody else do that?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Banned

I don't do S&W, but I am an OBW addict, and yes, it does change how you look at fabric forever!! LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 AM

It definately does change the way you look at fabric. I was not much for big floral fabrics , but now... I go looking for that perfect fabric .. one with all the colors I want. I knwo I am not the only one affected as most shops are selling more big florals. They are the first to go from the sale rack.
I recently assisted a shop owner with a one day sale.. guess which fabrics sold the most continous yardage... yep those big florals that typically would have not been too popular.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I don't do S&W, but I am an OBW addict, and yes, it does change how you look at fabric forever!! LOL
I had only heard of OBWs on this board. What is the difference between an OBW and Stack n Whack? how do you do an OBW that is different? I found a tut on this board ( but just lost the link) and it is just a stack n whack technique... The only difference is with SNW you specifically load up the layers onto pins though the key points and then put in the stabilising pins ( usually flat flower headed pins so a rotary rular will lie on top)

Stack N Whack is a trademarked technique of bethany S reynolds, but it looks like what you guys call an OBW to me.

becks
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Here is a picture of a four-patch posie. I found it with a google image search... cannot take credit for this beautiful quilt. It looks like the same pattern some of us worked with yesterday using 3" squares, the narrow sashing was cut 1" wide and the wider was 1.5". So this one will work with a smaller scale pattern.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191586.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The stack-and-whack uses 8 identically cut pieces. The OBWs I've seen use 6, all are equilateral triangles.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 AM

My two quilting friends and I discovered the 4-patch posy on one of our quilting vacations and it did change the way we looked at fabric. While on that vacation every quilt shop we went into, we were looking at big prints to make these! I've made about 10 of them and kinda got tired of them, so my fabric hunting for large prints eased up a bit. But now, I'm teaching another class for a 4pp so I went through my stash and found a great fabric for one - now I'm kinda anxious for that class, which probably won't be till June.