Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Once you do your first stack-and-whack... >

Once you do your first stack-and-whack...

Once you do your first stack-and-whack...

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes, It's adicting! You really know you are hooked on stack and whack when you carry 2 mirrors in your purse when you go fabric shopping.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
The stack-and-whack uses 8 identically cut pieces. The OBWs I've seen use 6, all are equilateral triangles.
Stack n whack doesn't just use 8 layers there are quilt patterns for 6 layers ( the hexagons and six point stars) as well as attic window boxes and other things using four. Most of the designs do use 8 but it's not exclusively so.

Stack N Whack also uses fan wedge shapes 9 18 degree wedges ( 5 bladed dresden plates) and 15 degree 6 bladed fans too, requiring 5 and six layers respectively.

I have not seen the very basic four patch posy ( which I think I will be trying for it's simplicity and low repeat requirment) If you look at my sampler that is most of the patterns covered in Bethany's books.

Most poepl do this not by stacking repaets but by playing hunt the motif with a template. Needs less fabric to start with but much more wasteful I was wondering if everyone does thierh OBW by stacking or hunting motifs?
becks