Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Once You Start A Quilt,Do You

Blog Entries
    Hoolahoop I love your avatar, is it a hawaiian.

Blog Entries
    I always finish a quilt, I will not start one if I don't like the pattern are colors Glenn

I still have a shaded 9P that I've not finished-it's been boxed for years. I also sewed together a 9P, hated it-ended up one toned so I ripped out seams here and there added new squares and for 2 different throws to repurpose the blocks.

I usually keep on going ... but the quilt might be smaller than planned ... and I donate it to my guild's charity quilts.

ali

Power Poster
    I really try to visualize it for a long time before I start. If it bothers me visually then I won't start it. I don't think I ever really gave up on a quilt. I would just put it away for a while and sometimes a long while then I would try it again.

Blog Entries
    I always make a sample block. If I do not like it "as is", I change the colors, or go to another project. I have found, to my dismay, that if I don't like the first block, then I don't like the whole quilt, once it's done. Fortunately for me, I can easily get rid of a handmade quilt, not matter what it looks like when it's done
    nanac

What is a crumb quilt or pattern????

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by theresa.redington
    jGood question, I have been wondering the same thing. Cannot wait for an answer to this one.
    Thanks for asking.
    MNM in Central Calif

It has my interest and I saw that I need to proofread before sending out my replies. Have a great day and keep quilting!

Blog Entries
    Here's a couple explanations, but there are others. Some make blocks on
    a foundation, others make bigger blocks.I have "sample" blocks...all in diff fabrics.
    Gonna decide on a size & cut them up...add some strips here & there,along with any scrappy pieces I've saved.Might do ithis as a quilt as you go.It's a way of using all your scraps...for yourself or to give away.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...322225899.html

http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by theresa.redington

I stop sometimes, but not for good. When I get inspired again, I pick it back up.
    Um, this happens frequently sometimes, but I just get right back on the horse. I think it's the quilter and not the quilt...on my part, lol! :lol:

I haven't run across that problem, I guess because I don't buy fabric I don't like. I have to make more than one block to I can see what putting them together does to the pattern and colors. I usually like them. I'm a little anal when I go buy fabric - it's usually for a specific pattern and I don't buy fabric just because I think it's pretty - LOL. At least I admit it.

Look at it and figure out why you don't like the block. Could be that a color change is all it needs to jazz it up. Give it sparkle. Cut enough for 4 blocks and make them up. Then decide if you don't like the block, or don't like a fabric choice. You can always make a runner out of it and give it as a gift. If it is really nice, give it to a friend or relative and if it is really ugly, give it anonymously to someone you don't like. HeeHee!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I kept going, I wouldn't have UFOs and I HAVE UFOs. My plan is to finish them eventually, but there is always a new pattern or a new idea....

I have found that once quilted the whole quilt changes. Some I have not particularly liked while making I have persevered with and have always enjoyed the finished quilt.
    Saying that I do have some UFOs. Truth time - a lot of UFOs that I need to complete. Hopefully they too will "come alive" when quilted.
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    No, I stop
    Sometimes I'll cut the blocks into strips or pieces to go into a Mile a Minute or Crumbs quilt
    What's a Mile a Minute or Crumbs quilt? Sounds interesting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am getting ready to start a big quilt, But I will finish what ever I start, because I don't have the option to buy fabric. So what I start will be finished to the end. God bless. Penny

Put your "no way blocks" and unused fabrics into a quilt sampler. You just might be surprised with the end results but I'd recommend you use a neutral, tone on tone or plain fabrics for the sashing to give a break between the"no way blocks" or colors that could clash in your mind. Give it some thought. You might just be surprised.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    keep going it,regardless of wether you like it or not?

I used to, back when quilting was new to me.Then realized there are
    certain colors/patterns I just can't stand working on.
    Now I always do a sample block.Is it worth making enough for a quilt?
    Does the color need changing? Better to stop than to force myself to
    make an un-loved quilt. Besides....un used fabric builds stash & I get a collection of "no way" blocks. :-D

Blog Entries
    Thanks,Patty....lots of good advice on here for orphan blocks.BTW, we have a DD in Fl. They live on Merritt Is...very near the space center.Love your avatar....very pretty quilt.

Thanks,Patty....lots of good advice on here for orphan blocks.BTW, we have a DD in Fl. They live on Merritt Is...very near the space center.Love your avatar....very pretty quilt.
    I'm west of Orlando about an hour and south of Ocala about an hour - in The Villages, FL. If you head down this way sometime, look me up. I've never been to Merrit Is and would love to go there one day but since retiring, we aren't very adventuresome. Actually we're very content here in the villages.

I can't let blocks go to waste, not even ugly ones. You could also quickly make them into pot holders or hot pads and then they'd at least be worth the time, effort and money you put in them. Just a thought.
    Patty

Sample blocks what a smart thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    When I started quilting, I made a promise to myself that I would not start a new project until I finished the one I was working on. I just know I would get too overwhelmed if I let too much get going at once.
    Me, too!
    I made that promise too...lasted about 4 months LOL

I usually get the top completed to see how it looks. Then decide I don't like it enough to have it quilted. The top goes in the closet til one of my friends gets a quilt machine, then I give them a bag full to practice on. If I get blocks I don't like I give them to a friend to make charity quilts. She has made some nice looking quilts out of my ugly blocks.

Blog Entries
    Not to start a travel log, but we used to spend a lot of winters in FL & enjoyed the Ocala area. Back then it wasn't a tourist destination & the
    Villages were just getting started.Fl has grown so much & all areas have more ppl etc.

I'm west of Orlando about an hour and south of Ocala about an hour - in The Villages, FL. If you head down this way sometime, look me up. I've never been to Merrit Is and would love to go there one day but since retiring, we aren't very adventuresome. Actually we're very content here in the villages.

Will IM you privately.
    Patty
    As you say, we don't want to start a travel log here.

Not to start a travel log, but we used to spend a lot of winters in FL & enjoyed the Ocala area. Back then it wasn't a tourist destination & the
    Villages were just getting started.Fl has grown so much & all areas have more ppl etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast