Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Block Wonder >

One Block Wonder

One Block Wonder

Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 AM

Sewingsuz, your quilt is also beautiful! That fabric yielded some wonderful blocks! I love the colors in it.

I bought some fabric three years ago to make one of these but haven't taken the plunge. I like the comments that the blocks are a bit forgiving, because it looks so precise it is intimidataing.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:31 AM

I've made two so far, its one of my favorite quilts to make. I'm always looking for the next fabric to use. I followed the directions in the book with the flat flowerhead pins and it was easy-peasy. They aren't perfect but no one can tell. Very forgiving.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473065[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2008-01-01-12.00.56sm.jpg   2014-02-22-09.10.54sm.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 04:55 AM

I've only made one...... and being the OCD person that I am, got really frustrated when I was putting the blocks together. Lining up the 6 layers of fabric wasn't difficult. I used pins to line things up and it was fine. And I did have the book. There are 3. I used the 2nd one.

My best suggestion is to pick a fabric that has big colorful designs. The fabric I used had too much overall design so there wasn't enough variation for my liking. I think that's what made it difficult for me to place blocks in the end. My SIL wanted to make one so I suggested that she find the ugliest fabric she could. She did..... that fabric was really ugly. But, the quilt is beautiful.

Okay, here's my OBW quilt.
Attached Thumbnails obw4.jpg   obw5.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 AM

wait for the drop down and then click on it, it worked for me
Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Very pretty.

I am no perfectionist and I didn't have a super hard time stacking the fabric so that the wedges would be reasonable.. Didn't even use flower-head pins! Some of my kaliedoscopes are a tad off, but you have to look closely to see it. Remember, the quilt gets so busy that little imperfections are hardly noticeable.

I did not use a mirror, just assumed that the fabric I was using would be fun. It was. But I would definitely advising using one.

This is my quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473011[/ATTACH].
I really like your layout. Did you have a pattern or design it yourself? Please share.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 AM

Wow! Those are amazing. I don't think i would ever work up the courage or save up enough patience to attempt something like that. They sure are fun to look at!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:23 AM

This one in on my bucket list also -- I have a beautiful oriental print to make one. The good thing is it will never be duplicated as I purchased the fabric at least 5 years ago and it will probably be another 5 before I start on this one. Sure hope I bought enough fabric!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:43 AM

I like the idea of trying some hexes with a color copier just to see what you get. Personally I found that the hardest thing about it was sewing the triangles at the tail so they went straight.

That OBW with the light background is beautiful! I recently bought some wild Carribbean print floral fabric with a white background, to do an OBW, so you are very encouraging.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:38 AM

FYI, there are a lot more examples in our gallery. Click on the link below to go to the main page, and then scroll down to find the OBWs There are 2 pages of pictures.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/q...ery-36607.html
Old 04-26-2014, 07:38 AM

I believe that one can not make an ugly Obw....I have made 15 or so and each one has its own look....I always tear the fabric in half longways along the fold and then cut the six strips....I pin with flat head pins and take my time usually as the Tv Is on...also starch is a real help and enjoying the process as each lovely new design merges....and as others have stated here, mistakes never are obvious....I'll try to post a picture of one I just completed...I am very happy with it having used thrift store fabric that I couldn't imagine would work.....