Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Block Wonder >

One Block Wonder

One Block Wonder

Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Default One Block Wonder

Has anyone made a One Block Wonder or Stack and Whack Quilt? I am thinking of making one for my next project and wanted to hear your experiences. It looks like stacking the fabric accurately would be difficult. Also did you use the mirrors to audition your fabric?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Yes, getting the fabric lined up perfectly is the hardest part. I photocopy in color the fabric, making 6 copies, and then cut it using the triangle size I want to use and play around with the paper parts.

the first photo below are some blocks I put together using photocopies. The second photo is a OBW in progress that I am still looking for the perfect green fabric to use as an inner border. I was cautioned that my fabric had too much cream open space but I think it turned out great and changed a lot of people's minds about needing your fabric to be very tightly designed. Strangely, while the fabric in both of these photos looks very similar, they are different. I guess I am drawn to this combination of floral designs.
Attached Thumbnails emma-obw1.jpg   obw-oasis-cream-finished-top.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 AM

Oh, my gosh, that is just stunning! I have never made a OBW, but I might have to add this to my growing list of future projects. The colors are just beautiful and I love how you've placed the blocks. It has a variegated look to it. Beautiful!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Stacking the fabric is sort of a pain, but as long as you keep your fabric pieces of a manageable size it's not too terrible. And if you're off by a thread it'll never show up - the nice thing about these quilts is that they are VERY forgiving - there is so much going on that if you get something a little off it'll never be noticed by anybody but you.

For me the worst part is pressing all the seams open. I HATE pressing seams open but for these you pretty much have to or you end up with a horrible lump in the middle. Otherwise I enjoyed watching it slowly come together.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM

AngelinaMaria, your OBW is gorgeous. I love the variation of your quilt.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

There is a great step by step video tutorial on OBW at http://www.ifthesethreadscouldtalk.com/ click on the OBW tutorial tab.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Very pretty.

I am no perfectionist and I didn't have a super hard time stacking the fabric so that the wedges would be reasonable.. Didn't even use flower-head pins! Some of my kaliedoscopes are a tad off, but you have to look closely to see it. Remember, the quilt gets so busy that little imperfections are hardly noticeable.

I did not use a mirror, just assumed that the fabric I was using would be fun. It was. But I would definitely advising using one.

This is my quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473011[/ATTACH].
Attached Thumbnails 1553437_10203340339212229_167146235_o-1-.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:24 AM

I can not get the tutorial. When I click on the tutorial tab, I just get pictures, no tut. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Bummer, try go directly through Google but it isn't working for me right now either.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM

There is a great tutorial here on the board from a few years ago -- http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ns-t92503.html