Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One block wonder >

One block wonder

One block wonder

Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 AM

Thanks all. I'm not going to do anything else to it. I have no more fabric and it was just a practise. Now it's a cat bed lol
Old 11-25-2017, 06:55 AM

Marion, did you use a 60 degree ruler to cut your wedges or a standard 6x12 ruler? I, too, like the fabric in your cat bed. I have one of the OBW books and don't know why I haven't tried one of these quilts yet...oh Yeah...it might be the 30+ UFO's that I HAVE to finish. I'm a great starter, but not a good finisher.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 AM

I used a standard 6x12 ruler ... would that make a difference? I also made 60 degree triangles, and yet in a lot of the patterns I saw 30 degrees ... didn't understand that - unless they were making them super small!

I also made my strips 4 inches wide instead of the 3.75. It's much easier (in my mind) to work with whole or half numbers than these 1/4 or 3/4 numbers. I figure it's my quilt, I can make it bigger or smaller if I want!

QuiltE - your quilt is gorgeous! I love the variation of colours!

The fabrics that I bought are these two:

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/sup...he-yard/475178

Well, I just clicked on it and realized it brought you to the "group". I chose the ones with the big flowers and one has a purple background and the other a light teal.

I'm hoping to have better luck with those

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
QuiltE - your quilt is gorgeous! I love the variation of colours! .....
Thank you! it was a switch up for me as I am not usually into the soft and pale look, but it was a nice change and perhaps that got me moved outside my norms, as after that I started using white. Imagine that!

Size of the strips ... doesn't matter. Usually you switch that up according to the size of the print you are working with.

30° vs. 60° ... To do a six-piece OBW, you use 60° cuts, as you need to end up with 360° for the complete circle. If you were only using 30°, you would need 12-pieces to get around the full circle. 8-piece SAWs are 45°. Another fun one is the 4-Patch Posey, where you only stack four layers and cut in squares.

Rulers ... doesn't matter if you use an actual triangle ruler, or a rectangular one. I've done it both ways. What matter is accurate cutting.

Starch ... I took a class for the one in the link. Before going, we were told to starch of Best Press the fabric well. Working with all the bias cuts, the starch helped it all go together pretty darn slick!

Love those fabrics .... The conventional "rules" say to not use stripes in a OBW, yet if you look around you will see some pretty amazing OBWs that did use stripes.

The worse part of a OBW and yet the exciting part is that you don't know what you are going to end up with until you actually cut and sew. I love the surprise that comes with doing each set, and the different designs that show up as you work along.

One good way to check the fabrics .... stand two mirrors together, fanning them out until you see six reflections (or 4 or 8) and see if you like how it looks. I just bought two school-kids locker mirrors and duct taped them together.
You're pretty adventurous and creative ... I am sure you are going to turn this into a phenomenal finish!
Look forward to seeing it!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-25-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thank you! it was a switch up for me as I am not usually into the soft and pale look, but it was a nice change and perhaps that got me moved outside my norms, as after that I started using white. Imagine that!

Size of the strips ... doesn't matter. Usually you switch that up according to the size of the print you are working with.

30° vs. 60° ... To do a six-piece OBW, you use 60° cuts, as you need to end up with 360° for the complete circle. If you were only using 30°, you would need 12-pieces to get around the full circle. 8-piece SAWs are 45°. Another fun one is the 4-Patch Posey, where you only stack four layers and cut in squares.

Rulers ... doesn't matter if you use an actual triangle ruler, or a rectangular one. I've done it both ways. What matter is accurate cutting.

Starch ... I took a class for the one in the link. Before going, we were told to starch of Best Press the fabric well. Working with all the bias cuts, the starch helped it all go together pretty darn slick!

Love those fabrics .... The conventional "rules" say to not use stripes in a OBW, yet if you look around you will see some pretty amazing OBWs that did use stripes.

The worse part of a OBW and yet the exciting part is that you don't know what you are going to end up with until you actually cut and sew. I love the surprise that comes with doing each set, and the different designs that show up as you work along.

One good way to check the fabrics .... stand two mirrors together, fanning them out until you see six reflections (or 4 or 8) and see if you like how it looks. I just bought two school-kids locker mirrors and duct taped them together.
You're pretty adventurous and creative ... I am sure you are going to turn this into a phenomenal finish!
Look forward to seeing it!!!

Thanks QuiltE!! I am looking forward to doing something new!

I have a friend who has 7 cats, so she gets all my practice quilts LOL ... I've been practicing FMQ and thankfully her cats don't care about the stitch length!
Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
Thanks QuiltE!! I am looking forward to doing something new!

I have a friend who has 7 cats, so she gets all my practice quilts LOL ... I've been practicing FMQ and thankfully her cats don't care about the stitch length!
Have FUN with it!
Nice to share with the cats, but be sure to keep enough quilts for yourself and your memories!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:14 AM

marionquilts, I love your cat bed. I love paisley & I love the flow you achieved with your blocks. Yes, framed may be more dynamic, but I love it as it is.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM

These are beautiful examples. Thanks for posting the links.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM

I think using 2 different colors of the same fabric could work. I mad a OBW that I love but haven't co,me up with a layout I like yet. I have fooled with it off and on for 2 years. I pull it out and put it on the design wall. I move it around some then put it away. I think my problem is it needs more different colors and shades for me. I will put it together eventually. Others have looked at it and loved it.
I think it would look good and would love to see it finished. A lot of the pictures that look like 2 fabrics are probably just the color variations in the fabric. I took a class for my first one. 2 of us had brought the same fabric. Since we both started at a different point in the fabric ours looked totally different. Hers appeared to be gold and mine looked green. They hung side by side in the LQS for quite a while. People had a hard time believing they were the same fabric. WIsh I had a picture.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Oh my gosh, Marionsquilts, that is gorgeous!!!