Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One block wonder >

One block wonder

One block wonder

Old 11-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Default One block wonder

Has anyone ever done a one block wonder with two types of fabric? I bought the same fabric but one has a purple background and the other has a teal background. The pattern is identical. My thoughts are to do the one block wonder with both fabrics to give it more variety.

I'm currently working on a mini one so I get the idea before I do the bigger one!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM

I have never made a OBW but it is on my bucket list. I Googled One Block Wonder 2 fabrics.

Almost all were definitely only one fabric, but this one looks to be two. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/08/a3/b...k-quilting.jpg

This one has several different fabrics in it and more. https://www.susangarrityartquilts.co...d%20fabric.png

This may be only one fabric, but is a good example as to how you could merge two. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lT9cXxIgKy...9+18.25.45.jpg

Another beautiful example of contrasting colors...probably one fabric, but could be more. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/433190057881092377/

Love this circular one. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/517280707181001578/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-24-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I think it would depend on the fabric but you could do a pattern within a pattern by grouping the different backgrounds together. Maybe like a Trip Around The World or a big Star?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:38 AM

I have not, but the FB OBW site has several and they all look good.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanks! I have seen a lot of them and I was pretty sure some of them had two types of fabric!

Here's my mini that I practiced on ... not a fan of the designs that came out, I think the fabric was too busy ... but I don't think the cat will care! And I ran out of fabric to make it complete LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584291[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2005.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 04:10 PM

I agree the fabric is to busy for a obw (for me). Those do better as a stack and wack by adding borders, sashing or triangles to separate the busy hexies.
Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
Thanks! I have seen a lot of them and I was pretty sure some of them had two types of fabric!

Here's my mini that I practiced on ... not a fan of the designs that came out, I think the fabric was too busy ... but I don't think the cat will care! And I ran out of fabric to make it complete LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584291[/ATTACH]
Old 11-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

MarionsQuilts ... I see what you mean as to how each of the OBW hexies are melding together.
The OBW pattern somewhat works that way, with no definition from one to the other.

However, when I look at each on its own, I love the designs that are forming with that fabric.
You could move away from a true OBW, and switch it up,
by bordering each in the black or even the grey.

That way you could see the pattern of each, just as you would if doing a 4PP, or the 8-Kaleido.

Here's one that I did ...
Shabby Chic OBW .... Tout Fini! :)
Old 11-25-2017, 03:38 AM

I totally agree. Each block is beautiful! Love your colors. I think the blocks need definition by adding sashing around them. As they are in your picture, they are a blur. I don’t know what color to suggest for sashing—maybe grey?— but those blocks are gorgeous. Persevere, my dear.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:17 AM

Sounds like a really interesting idea and I think you should give it a try. I really like this quilting form and was out a couple of days back to find 'just the right fabric' to try it. The patterns that form with this technique are truly fascinating to me. But, if you try it, please don't forget to share your journey.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:18 AM

Marionsquilts, those are gorgeous. Just need some separation to make them amazing.
I'm really going to have to look into this OBW thing.

Watson