Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One more with OBW problem >

One more with OBW problem

One more with OBW problem

Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Katrine
This is exactly why the author strongly recommends the Clearview 6" 60deg triangle as part of the equipment required to make One Block Wonders - it has the point, and there will be no problem.
Apart from cutting accurately, you will match up seams far better with the points.
This is listed in all three of the One Block Wonder books.
LOL!
Well, I guess ignorance is bliss ;-) . When my group first made these a few years back, we didn't even have the book.

We took one look at it, figured out it was cut like a S&W, layered the fabrics, cut the strips, then the triangles, and sewed together the half hexagons.
With NO problems.
Really strange.
I'm going to try to do it with points (which I always, always, always cut off on any kind of triangle) to see if it's any easier.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 AM

I would love to see this quilt when you are done.

Our guild is working on a raffle quilt and one of the ladies brought in this material to use in the border. All I could this was this would make a wonderful one block wonder quilt or stack 'n whack quilt.

Please keep us posted.
Angie
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM

I think that is for a 3 1/4 finished size (3 3/4 minus 1/2 for seam allowance = 3 1/4". Make one, put together and see what the finished size it. Press (not iron) seams open and see what you get. You might try the website for the ruler. There may be other instructions. Good luck.
Johanna in WI
Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 AM

I also used the blunt tipped ruler. You still have the other tips to help you line things up. Don't cut those off and you will be ok. Love your fabric
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by dunster
For this quilt you want to have your points.
Why would the point be important?

It is so much easier to sew the 2 triangles together with blunt tips. Also, when you get to joining the halves (when sewing the rows together), the amount of bulk is drastically reduced.

I, too, initially thought the measurement problem was because of the ruler, but not that the blunt ruler was a problem. That was a weird sentence but I hope it made sense.
And in this particular quilt, especially with hexagons, the measurement number is really irrelevant as long as it's consistent and constant throughout the ALL triangles.
JoanneS: I thought this might be the case, but now that I've made a OBW I understand why the points are important. You need them when you sew the hexes. It makes sense to FOLLOW THE BOOK'S INSTRUCTIONS, and Maxine says several times DO NOT CUT OFF THE POINTS.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
It doesn't matter. As long as your "repeats" are correctly lined up AND your strips are straight, all you have to do is cut the triangles the EXACT same size, and the hexagons WILL be the same size when you go to sew them together. So yours will be a little smaller. No big deal.

Also, your ruler is one of the newer ones with the tip chopped off....they might be referring to the older rulers that have the point.

You have the better ruler, and your triangles will sew together much more easily and evenly.

So no need to fret, and start cutting and sewing. :wink: :wink:

I think that's a FABULOUS fabric for a OBW. Can't wait to see the finished product.
I agree that fabric is perfect for OBW. What is the name of the fabric? Would like to pics when you get a couple of the blocks made. can't wait. GO FOR IT>Robert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Love your fabric....It's what I am making a crazy quilt tote bag with....

Fabrics put together...before embellishments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181345[/ATTACH]

embellishments being added...as I write!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]181346[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-181338.jpe   attachment-181339.jpe   attachment-181340.jpe  
Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM

I put a piece of blue painters tape on the ruler where I want to end too so I don't get mixed up. It peels right off for the next project.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM

It work's great doesnt it. I used the little neon 1/4 inch tape on mine and I always know where to cut on the 60 degrees.
R
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM

I have just checked both my OBW books and neither one says you have to use the ruler with the point. I think it is personal preference.They just say 60 degree.

Okay, on page 28 of book 1, under tips, all it says is that you can place the ruler at the 3 1/2" mark and that will give you the needed point.

But I have never used the point and have not had a problem.