Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which One--- New Ideas

Blog Entries

Which One--- New Ideas

I gathered that about half of you didn't like my new fabrics in "Which One?" that I posted yesterday and I can see where you are coming from. Unfortunately I can't follow all the suggestions as 1) I am totally out of the light green, yellow, and red that was used in the quilt. I liturally had to piece patches of the green together in order to make it work. And 2) I don't get to town often to buy fabric. We are on a tight buget so I can't just go out and buy more. I always work with what I have and saved up to go buy the new fabrics; I would hate not to use at least one in this baby quilt

Anyway, that's my reasons for not exactly listening But here are two more ideas. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I didn't vote on the first one but I see what I like here. I would use the green for a border & then I would bind it with the light duck fabric. I know that was not one of your options but if you had enough duck fabric for a large border, you should have enough to use for binding. That's going to be a darling baby quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    I didn't vote on the first one but I see what I like here. I would use the green for a border & then I would bind it with the light duck fabric. I know that was not one of your options but if you had enough duck fabric for a large border, you should have enough to use for binding. That's going to be a darling baby quilt.
    I like this idea also. Very cute quilt!

Dina

Blog Entries
    *** I like Osewme's idea.
    *** I'm with you in using what you have.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I like the narrow lite inside border and wider dark outside border.

Quote Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
    I like the narrow lite inside border and wider dark outside border.
    I agree with AVFD215. Use the light border first to finish it off and then the dark green to ground it.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Banned
    You really don't have to please anyone but yourself. Its your quilt. Did Picasso fuss because someone didn't like that particular shade of green?

Sorry, I really like the narrow green border. It seems to finish the blocks and picks up the green from the blocks and the ducky fabric. I think the ducky fabric is too busy as a first border but looks lovely as a wider second border. I know, I just have to be different, don't I.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I vote for the duck narrow border and green wider. Cute quilt and those are darling squirrel appliqué.

I'm odd man out here - I'd go with just the wide green border and not use the duck fabric. Then again, it's your quilt. I might use the duck fabric for binding?? Do you need both borders to get it to the size you want? Just my thoughts.

I didn't see your earlier post, but I like the dark green. Very cute quilt! When I had a cross stitch/framing shop, the general rule for picking a mat was to pick the third color your eye saw when looking at the project. The darker green border really pulls out the green in the quilt - is that what you like? There isn't a rule or manual for quilting. It's what is pleasing to your eye. It doesn't really matter what we think . . . we'll only see it when you show us a picture of it. ~smile~
    Roseanne

I didn't love your earlier options, but I do love the dark green on the outside. It frames the quilt and picks up the green from inside it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with NJ Quilter. i love just the darker green as the border and binding. It goes great with the squirrels. I think the white white and off white in the duck fabric compete with each other. I would save the duck fabric for another quilt. BtW, your quilt is very nice.

The dark green border is perfect. It does pull the green from the quilt nicely. I'd use it alone, unless you really need the ducky fabric to make it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Sorry, I really like the narrow green border. It seems to finish the blocks and picks up the green from the blocks and the ducky fabric. I think the ducky fabric is too busy as a first border but looks lovely as a wider second border. I know, I just have to be different, don't I.
    I agree with this.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I like the green inner border with a wider border of the duck fabric. The narrow green seems to finish off the main part of the quilt. The ducks get kind of lost next to the main quilt.
    Last edited by gramajo; 05-09-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

I like the first photo here... It blends best with your quilt center.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like picture #1. Using the dark green by itself would be too intense, I think. Combining it with the ducks is perfect. You could bind in the dark green as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Well, then I am different too!

Totally agree ... dark green inner/narrow border and then the duckies for a wider border to finish it.

And this is why we audition, to determine what works best with a combination.

Well done NZQuilter!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I didn't vote the first time either, but I like the second one with the narrow ducky border and the wide green, and bind with the duck fabric. Not to create a new problem for you, but what are you using for backing? If you have enough, maybe back it with the duck fabric???
    I really like this quilt and it really does come down to.....what do YOU like? It is your quilt after all.

Blog Entries
    I like picture #1

I like the green for the border as it frames the whole quilt.

I like the first one -- inner green border and ducky border on the outside.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

I prefer the green narrow border and duckie outer border, but the other way would work, too. I do think the green looks better than the blue from yesterday.

I hope you don't feel bad for "not listening," we're all happy to spit out our opinions when asked (and sometimes when not!), but in the end we can all make our own decisions for whatever reasons we want.

I think the green kinda seperates the blocks = green thin border then print.... Cute...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast