Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One of the reasons I learned to quilt >

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM

that is the only way i quilt is by hand all of my block are made by hand also so i stay busy all the time
louise
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkb
need . the mother of invention.
Absolutely, poverty meant use it up or go without. I still remember my MIL, who was the most inventive and creative woman I've known. She took a bag of donated double knit pants and reupholstering her old kitchen chairs. The result was useful, colorful, and durable. I admired her immensely. Waste Not , Want Not was her motto. She and I would haunt the white elephant sales for cotton dresses with usable fabric in them. We would then make quilts from them. Nothing went to waste. We lived on a cattle ranch and the men's work shirts would get all faded and ragged. We would cut the tails off the shirts for quilt squares because the fabric there was still good. The the rest of the shirts were utilized as oil rags or other things. Now I have all the fabric I can use and poverty is not an issue but I treasure the time she and I had and all she taught me. I am still pretty thrifty and her motto is my motto. She passed decades ago but I still miss her.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Because my grandma did and I wanted to be just like her...I still do! I lost her when I was 15 in 1975.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM

i started quilting by accident. i used to paint landscapes all the time but now i have 4 kids and the time it takes to set up and clean afterwards isn't possible anymore. so i decided to use my creativity to make stuffed animals and clothes because sewing takes less time and isn't as messy. well, it is but it doesn't matter too much if i don't pick it up right away. then my other half insisted i make him a blanket and ta-da i am now a quilter. (:
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM

I wanted to use up all the fabric I had. Well, you know where that went. More fabric than when I began. But what fun I've had.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I bought a quilt for $500 about 10 yrs ago from mail order. It arrived and was sewn to itself. I thought, as a rank beginner, I can do better then that.

My first quilt is still on our bed, a King size bagged and tied Log Cabin in a Day from Eleanor Burns. It took me much longer then a day, but we still like it and I made many more, just whipping out the blocks was a breeze. I have since branched out!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM

I was bored and took up an invitation to participate in a group quilt.

Unfortunately for my dh I ended up investing a LOT more money into my "little hobby"!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

I learned to quilt because my parents were real strict when I was young and we couldn't go anywhere except school and church so I was bored and started quilting. I am the oldest of 5 girls and the only one that quilts.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

I'd sew many of my clothes and those of my children in the 70's and 80's. Then full time employment and other things got in the way. Early this fall a friend showed me some quilts she had made and I just said to myself I want to make a quilt to hang in front of the hideous door to the furnace/ac at the end of the hall! With no more thought than that I bought a pattern, material, etc.! I proceeded to complete the quilt top and used a long arm at the shop to quilt it! Phew! It now hangs over the ugly door and my hallway looks great. I have now finished the top to a quilt for my granddaughter! Soon to be quilting that and starting on quilt #3 for another granddaughter! (Oh, there were the 30+ fancy pillowcases and 3 tabletoppers I made for Xmas presents too.) Ya think I'm hooked? Even with a full time job...there seems to be time to quilt. I need to get pictures...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM

I have always loved fabric. Mama had a corduroy quilt that felt sooo good. ;) It was fun to look at a quilt & remember the dress the pieces came from. Now I look at my scraps from my daughter's little dresses.