Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One of the reasons I learned to quilt >

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM

started sewing when I was six on my Nana's treadle. have been sewing ever since. taught myself to quilt last year and I can't get enough of it I will be 58 next month I just love to quilt and use my embroidery in the mix also
Lisa
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

I have always been into crafts, since I was a little girl. I started sewing in the early 70's when knits were popular. A friend came over with her new pants she had just made and I thought - I can do that! And I did, making matching T shirts for the family and shorts for myself and little son and pants for us too. Then I went on to oil painting, counted cross stictch, crewel work, and eventually quilting in the late 80's. I still do other things like raised Iroquios beadwork and have tried my hand at handmade lace which is beautiful but not for me. Considering the amount of UFO's I have I will be quilting for a very long time.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 PM

it was just another craft I had to master
As a teenager I worked in local store, they sold fabric crafts, linens,etc.
i bought teach yourself books and learned to crochet and knit. Tried tatting but could never "get it" from a book. I then learned to sew and have mastered Tole painting and x stitch & jewellery making. I have to try everything - it is in my blood
My Mother was a self taught sewer who could make anything including my $30 wedding dress - which was awesome !!
She suggested I take a beginners sewing class, so I did and I have been sewing since. Clothing, curtains or whatever I needed. Then a few years back I decided to try my hand at quilting. I have probably made 30-40 quilts and given most away. Unfortunately, I just recently started to take photos.
So I don't keep running on - I guess my Mother was my inspiration - in fact she was my best friend and inspiration to do anything I choose to do!! She was the most loving, talented, smart amazing woman I knew and know!!! My goal in life is to half the woman she was.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ibequilting1
Tatting is a lost art. I wanted to learn how and bought a shuttle and book but could not master it. I needed someone to show me how. I am a visual person.
I too, wanted to learn tatting. I found a shop that specialized in heirloom sewing and took a class on tatting. It is somewhat difficult, but once you get the hang of it, you can do. I was told by one woman that her blind grandmother was able to tat as it's mostly a "feel" skill. Hmmm . . . I'm a visual person too.

Quilting? No, I didn't want to learn because I knew I would be hooked. I fought it for years. Finally, my long distance friend in another state said I was wasting fabric because I could be quilting. She made me feel so guilty that I finally gave in. Yes, of course I'm now hooked.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM

After I had a stroke many years ago, an elderly neighbor taught me to hand sew a hexagon quilt, to help with my physical therapy. I just never quit.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I learned to hand quilt because it has everything I like: color, fabric, fine hand and needle work and ornaments.

Hi Andrea,

I'm also Andrea and I also love hand quilting also there's someting so soothing in the rythm of a rocking needle motion that is almost mesmorizing. Glad your helping keep the art of hand quilting alive too. :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM

I experimented with some piecing when I was first learning to use a sewing machine, more than 50 years ago. It didn't go very well, and I didn't try it again until I had my first baby on the way and wanted to make some patchwork decor for the nursery. This was before the days when parents would find out the sex of their babies beforehand, so multi-color patchwork on the curtains and here and there around the room seemed ideal, and we kept that "theme" through all three babies. I didn't try any actual quilt-making until considerably later, when the kids were in high school, and I'm far from a truly dedicated quilter because I'm always into a variety of crafts, but I'm enjoying a quilting binge right now, and I'm gradually getting a little better at it than I was in 1960. I'm glad you started this topic. I'm enjoying reading all the various responses.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM

love sewig and playing with colour . also the joy of giving to who ever.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM

I have always sewn. I made my own wedding dress. When my daughters were little I made all their clothes. Beautiful Daisy Kingdom dress, t-shirts, PJ's etc. But as they got older they didn't want "home made" any more. But I still wanted to sew. So I turned to quilting. I am never going back. I love it. I work full time and I want to retire so I can quilt more. But that won't be for another 10 years or more. I quilt as much as I can working full time. My husband feels neglected at times.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM

When my kids were little (ohhhh, that was about 40 yrs ago!), I use to make their clothes as well as mine. Then life changed, I worked and there never was enough time to get anything done. When I retired early, I knew I had to find something to do. So, about 5 years ago, I bought a $75.00 Brother at Walmart and started reading about quilting. I took my time, and it has been a wonderful journey, one I am so glad I found. I now have a Janome 6500P and am a happy camper!!!!!