Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online Shopping -- What's your poison? >

Online Shopping -- What's your poison?

Online Shopping -- What's your poison?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I purchase on line when certain criteria are met - Must be on sale enough to make it worthwhile - shipping must be free or what I consider to be a bargain. Generally buy only brands I'm familiar enough with to feel confident about. I also buy locally, but probably more on line than anything. Although I see lots of fabric I think is pretty, it has to really speak to me to want to buy it and that doesn't happen very often.
As far as shipping goes...I just bought 20 yards of fabric from Hancock's, (their big sale, LOL) it was delivered by Fedex...shipping was less than 6 dollars...gas for a trip to a quilt shop round trip would have cost me the same..plus i got to sit and drink coffee while I browsed!
Also JoAnne's has coupons for free shipping sometimes, too. Where I live I could never get the choices locally that I get on line, it is just too rural and there are very limited choices. I wait for the sales and have fun.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 AM

Not necessarily the latest fabric but one I can't live without, there's no control. My delimna is how much and then later wondering if Maybe I shouldn't have bought fabric. My best anti-purchasing method......don't walk into a quilt shop!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Default Ordering online

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I buy from lots of online shops. I rather use PayPal. I don't have my checking account info on Pay Pal, just a local bank credit card. Never use a bank debit/credit card to shop online. I use a local bank credit card with a very low credit limit for online shopping. We use LifeLock credit protection too. Discover is the only card I've had trouble with. After getting three new accounts because the others were compromised I dropped them.
My guy at Chase had a good idea since he had someone hacked. I have a separate account with just a little $$ in it linked to Paypal. I can add whenever I want and my main account isn't linked.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM

I hate shopping so it is online all the way for me. Only once have I been disappointed. The colors did not match as I had planned. I use equilter, Connecting Treads, Keepsake Quilting, MSQC, you name it, I have used it. Never a problem with my credit card or PayPal.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I buy from lots of online shops. I rather use PayPal. I don't have my checking account info on Pay Pal, just a local bank credit card. Never use a bank debit/credit card to shop online. I use a local bank credit card with a very low credit limit for online shopping. We use LifeLock credit protection too. Discover is the only card I've had trouble with. After getting three new accounts because the others were compromised I dropped them.
Me too, with the Discover!!! I've had 3 cards within the last 18 months. My suspicion is that the hacking came from Ebay.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 AM

I shop online a LOT. Only in January did I have my two debit cards compromised thru a popular fabric/threads website.. Other than that I've had no problems.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

"How to do control your desire for the latest fabrics?"

My husband will be retiring next year at the ripe old age of 55. His job is being phased out so our income will be cut drastically. We will be fine but it has my husband very scared. So I try real hard to focus on not adding to his fear. Hoping he gets over this soon!!

So far as having problems with accounts being hacked or identity theft, I've been shopping online since online shopping was a twinkle in Al Gore's eye and have never had a problem. One hint I can pass on is to took at the http in the Internet address for the ordering page. If there is no "s" (https), don't use it. The "s" indicates a certain level of security - not foolproof but better than those without.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I was like you for a long time. Then one day I just took the plunge. I have bought from many places and have never been disappointed.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM

I used to buy fabrics online. Now I seldom do as some places use flat rate shipping and that seems to be at least $10 for just one small item; not worth it.
I have 3 LQS that I buy from, I want them to stay in business as long as possible.
Sharon
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 AM

I put my self on a monthly fabric budget. So I order every month and DH doesn't complain. Figure out what you can afford and stick to it. I have to order online or pay double here. I buy a lot of moda because I've never had a problem with quality of their fabrics

Last edited by QuiltingCrazie; 08-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.