Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Shopping -- What's your poison?

Online Shopping -- What's your poison?

I LOVE to window shop online for fabrics, but rarely do I purchase. I fall in love with bright colored quilts like the one below, but when it comes to buying the fabric...I chicken out. I just have to fondle it to see if it meets my fabric snob tendencies!! lol -- j/k -- I can't afford to be a fabric snob.

Maybe I just wish I had the disposable income to buy everything I see....yeah....that's got to be it!

How to do control your desire for the latest fabrics?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I check to see if I can purchase at my local quilt shop or big box. Going to have to pay for shipping anyway since they figure that into the cost. I can feel it and decide.

I am afraid to order from any place that won't take pre payed cards. I have had my bank account hacked into twice and my DD has had her credit card info. stolen. Just last week she ordered from a very popular store and within ten hours her whole bank account was wiped out. She also had her pay pal account hacked into. So if I can not mail order by check or use a pre payed card I won't order.

I purchase on line when certain criteria are met - Must be on sale enough to make it worthwhile - shipping must be free or what I consider to be a bargain. Generally buy only brands I'm familiar enough with to feel confident about. I also buy locally, but probably more on line than anything. Although I see lots of fabric I think is pretty, it has to really speak to me to want to buy it and that doesn't happen very often.

I buy what ever calls my name!!! I am a relatively new quilter so I have been buying coordinating fabric lines in 1 or 2 yard cuts. I am trying to build a stash . I order online as there are no quilt shops near where I live and only a Joann's 20 minutes away. My husband says nothing about my fabric purchases as his hobby of classic cars is far more expensive!!!
    Lisa

I have a document on my computer where I write down all my fabric desire, and when it's time to order I look through it and a lot of the desires have lost it's charm. Beacuse I live in Sweden I only order from the US 2-3 times a year, so I might have a benefit in just that. If I would have the same range of fabric in Sweden I would order a hell of a lot more

Blog Entries
    I buy from lots of online shops. I rather use PayPal. I don't have my checking account info on Pay Pal, just a local bank credit card. Never use a bank debit/credit card to shop online. I use a local bank credit card with a very low credit limit for online shopping. We use LifeLock credit protection too. Discover is the only card I've had trouble with. After getting three new accounts because the others were compromised I dropped them.
    Got fabric?

[QUOTE=Stitch124;6249192]... How to do control your desire for the latest fabrics? ... /QUOTE]

I have to touch a fabric, before I really fall in love with it. Too many times, I've seen GORGEOUS fabric, only to touch it and find it rough or stiff. Hobby Lobby is my weakness.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I buy quite a bit of fabric online but only brands that I know and when shipping is free or reasonable. can you please tell me what site you saw the fabric you pictured on. I love it.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    I've been primarily shopping on line shops for over 10 years now- and I guess I am lucky- I have never had any problems. I have messed up (my error) a couple times over the years- but nothing I could blame on the shop- I do try to support my lqs and spend a lot there- but they are small- I've been shopping at fabric.com for 11+ years- I also shop with Connecting Threads, Superior Threads, Keepsake Quilting and Nancy's notions- fairly regularly- there are times when I need a specific item I shop at different places- but those are the ones I hit most often. I always want free shipping (fabric.com @ $35- I can always meet that) and Connecting [email protected] $50- I like hitting their batting sales...anyhow---I have loved the opportunities the internet provides me with- my quilting would be so very limited if I could only shop locally.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Well when you find out how to resist - let me know. I am trying to stop buying fabric but that line is way cute, what is it?

Power Poster
    I don't look.

I'm not terribly tempted by fabric on line. I like to buy in person so I can touch the fabrics and see true colors. I could spend hours browsing from shop to shop.

Blog Entries
    I have no suggestions about self control when it comes to fabric. But I sure love the ones you've posted.

Unfortunately, Connecting Threads has a sale right now for 40% off lots of basic fabrics. Geez, how does a quilter resist? I keep thinking 3-4 projects ahead, trying to find the most bang for my buck.

Blog Entries
    I have little self-control when it comes to fabrics! I had to un-subscribe from many of my favorite places to reduce the temptation. LOL I have been trying to use more of my stash and limiting my purchases to batting, thread and only get what fabric I need to finish off a project, such as border fabric. I've reduced my purchases quite a bit, but definitely not down to zero...I don't think I could do that!

I put all the stuff i like in the shopping cart but rarely pull the trigger! Just the fun of looking and putting it in the cart seems to be enough...plus when i see the total, it helps to keep me fom hitting that order button!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I browse the fabrics online, but I don't buy anything online.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    I put all the stuff i like in the shopping cart but rarely pull the trigger! Just the fun of looking and putting it in the cart seems to be enough...plus when i see the total, it helps to keep me fom hitting that order button!
    My method also!

Blog Entries
    When the balance due get's to a certain figure on the card I use for online purchases, no matter how much I might want the item, it's a no-sale. So that kinda makes me be really sure I want it.

Here is the link to the fabric in the picture... I love this fabric and will probably buy it when I use up some more of my stash. http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/

mmr
    Indiana home in summer. 2nd home in Florida for winter. Quilting supplies stashed in both places.
    I agree with those who don't buy online as tempting as it may be. I have had to change all my banking info because my email was hacked into. Besides it is more fun to see and feel the merchandise.

I buy online probably a couple of times a month with about $30 each time, so I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. Sometimes my local sources don't have what I think I need and I really enjoy getting those fat envelopes in the mail. Last year I did notice that my PayPal account had a couple of strange mailing addresses in there, with no idea how that happened. I deleted them and every time I place an order I make sure that the shipping address is mine.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Just an FYI, many places online would be happy to send you some samples for you to feel if you're not quite sure about the quality.

The nearest quilt shop used to be 45 min. away but then one opened within a 10 min. drive. I am trying to keep it in business! Still, I browse online and in catalogs (love the Hancocks-Paducah one) to get ideas and sometimes shop if I can't find what I need locally. I still drive 45 min. to my favorite (bigger) shop about twice a year, too. It's just an addiction!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast