Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It only took me four hours!!!

Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
    Blog Entries
    [quote=Renee110]I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

And I've not used a sewing machine since homec class 25 years ago....

So of course I decided to make potholders and placemats for my barn customers.

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the laugh this morning!!! You cracked me up!!! We have all been there at one time or another. May your next project bring you peace and joy!

Blog Entries
    Renee,
    It takes me that long too....know your pain...my middle name is Renee so maybe its in the name! But I have decided to relax and have fun...I am not in it for the race just the enjoyment of the creativity...Happy Stitching!

Take your time--I don't think there are any rewards for speed but the reward you get when you have accomplished even the smallest item are well worth it. Remember:"the faster I go the behinder I get".

Ok, so do the same one again. It will probably only take you half the time, and then do the same one again. You will get it down.
    I still can't do a quilt top in 1 day, or even a week, but I love the quilting art. I have 3 seam rippers and they all get a work out. Relax and enjoy the material, the time for yourself. That is what it is all about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee110
    I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

Ya'll folks who put together a whole quilt top in a day freak me out!
    Those bloody potholders gave me a run for my money the first couple, but it got easier the more I made. Hang in there.

you have me wondering what you chose for a pattern. Have you tried tubing method to get your initial square?

If I'm making several of a particular item, I do a production line of it, ie. the same process on each one until they're all finished. Somehow I find it speeds things up. Your brain doesn't have to keep switching from one stage to another!

Blog Entries
    While you are taking a break, go to Missouri Star and look at their tutorials which they have on YouTube. They have a gazillion of them. This will help you a lot. It helped me.

I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

I'm happy to hear there are other slow pokes like me. I am a fairly new to quilting, have not made all these different cuts that others can do. I have tried half squares.
    I am making queen,king quilts. I've gotten better at cutting squares.
    I tie, as I have not done machine quilting, nor do I have a machine that would be able to take on a quilt that big. I have a regular ordinary sewing machine, no fancy gizmos.
    I don't even have the ability to move my needle.
    Takes me about 4-6 months to complete a queen/king size quilt. I thought I was taking too long by the comparison of others, who seem able to zip through quilts.
    Call me a slow poke, I enjoy what I am able to create. I suppose one day, I will be more speedy and better with my quilts, but, for now, I am ok, and those I give them to are happy, if I take 8 hrs or 4 mths.
    Don't worry about being slow, just enjoy what your doing

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    It always get faster as I go. Hopefully it will for you too.

If you enjoy the process rather than wanting to skip to the end right away you won't mind how long it takes to make something. You are not a factory, you are a quilter. Time spent at the sewing machine is not so much what you make but that the process is peace giving and enjoyable. If you were an avid bowler you would not mind the hours spent on the lanes practicing no matter how low your initial scores. The only difference is you have a quilt at the end. Become a process person, not an outcomes person. Quilting will then become your passion, no matter how long it takes to accomplish something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Doesn't matter if it takes 6 months as long as you feel satisfied that you actually made something! Why don't you post a picture of it for us so we can Ooh and Aah?

I see where people say, "I made 3 quilts today!" and I have to say "Why?"

There are 24 hours in a day so you could do 6 tomorrow! LOL
    You gave me my laugh of the day-love it.

It definitely gets faster though if you are perfectionistic like I am it may not! LOL! But yes, it definitely gets quicker with time!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
    I suck at pot holders... so hang in there. In my experience, small projects can be more time consuming than larger projects. The first one always takes the longest.
    Try something else.
    Also this is the perfect time to start a sewing or quilting journal. Take a photo of every project and save it by the date. You will enjoy looking back at it someday. Even the 4 hour pot holders will be interesting, looking back.
    I totally agree with this!! Larger sometimes = faster and easier!! Hang in there!! :thumbup:

Hang in there, kiddo!

Some days I get things done and some days seems nothing gets finished no matter how long I am at the machine. Do a good job that you will be proud of and the hours will not matter. Some days seem like the desire is not being able to sit for long to accomplish anything. Hang on and you will have days that go by fast and much finished to your surprise.
    Some quilt blocks are easier than others. Some get easier and faster as you work. The first one always seems the longest as you always want to make sure it is done correctly. Once mastered the second ones come faster. But nobody says you have a deadline. You are not taking a test in school. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. :thumbup:

Hi, Tennessee! Don't worry....it gets easier....and more fun!!! as you learn more. I am fairly new to sewing and my home ec class was 48 years ago! It comes back and you realize you have rediscovered a first love! I am still really slow, but I love sewing...who cares how long it takes if you are enjoying it and learning!!! Good luck...hang in there and keep sewing!!!

Remember it's not a race :-) When I first started (and even now sometimes) I get so focused on finishing that I couldn't stop and I obsessed over completing my projects - my first quilts took forever and I lost lots of sleep staying awake at night cutting & piecing.... I think you might get faster as you learn. I did and still am learning!

Keep trying. Quilting is fun and quite relaxing. Slow down and enjoy the process. We all have a part of quilting we dislike or put off. I put off binding as long as I can. But there are no quilters in my house, just those that enjoy them. I am sure a slightly larger project like a table topper or a wall hanging will be easier.

I agree with everyone, just hang in there. Once you get the real sewing bug, time won't matter. After all, Rome was not built in a day After you make your first quilt you will be hooked. Then you start gaining a stash and you just have to make something with it. That's when you go the quiltville for an easy scrappy bargello quilt. You get hooked on that quilt and use up yours scraps.
    Then you have to think of someone to give it too. ha ha

You know what? I've been quilting for 10 yrs and rarely I am quick with any project but the other day I was sewing 2 potholders and took me hours!!!! I couldn't believe myself; I had the exact same thought... How is it possibl that these small "things" take me this long. I learned something. Potholders are not for me!

Blog Entries
    A pot holder may be small but they take a bit of work. I know I made some. something with a bigger sq. might ease the tension.

Renee, your post came at the perfect time for me! Like you, when I took my first quilting class about 2 years ago, I hadn't done any sewing for maybe 35 years and wasn't an expert then. Since then I have made 4 quilts and each one takes me along time, but I enjoy it. Even do my own FMQ.
    BUT, whenever I try some small, cute project, it seems to take forever and barely turns out OK. Just this past week I decided to make an apron and matching pot holders for a friend. Surprisingly, the apron went pretty fast and turned out pretty well. Then for the rest of the week, I have been fighting with those pot holders! Unbelievable! Apparently, I can put binding on an 80X80 inch quilt and can't do it on a 9 inch potholder! Anyway, finished them today after using packaged bias tape instead of matching fabric. Thanks for the post and everyone else's responses. I feel better. (Sorry for the rant)

Don't feel bad. I have been working on a quilt for my sister for 9 months and finally am ready to sew the binding. You will get it back. Hang in there!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast