Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ontario and/or Canada fabric sources?

Blog Entries
    Ok I have to chime in about duty...Whenever I shop Connecting threads, they charge you duty and taxes...they claim it makes it easier to go through customs...Also Allbrands charges duty/taxes also. There are a couple of other ones, but can't think of them off hand. So are these outlets suppose to charge duty/taxes....?????

Only the customs and revenue dept. of the country the parcel is entering can charge duty and that is assessed by them at entry....companies use a broker to get the proper paperwork through customs and of course there will be tax charged on any "goods and services". It is probably a brokerage fee+ taxes that you are paying not duty+taxes.
    ...if duty was charged, it would be tacked on on top of the brokerage fee at port of entry. DD ordered me a couple of kits for my birthday from Connecting Threads and she thought their fee was very reasonable, and that they probably do their own brokering in house.

I like cherished Pieces the web site is www.cherishedpieces.com They have been getting alot of newer stuff in in the last few months almost every time i go in there (which is about once a week) there is something new. They are getting alot off very versitile blenders and some realy cool contemperary lines. They are in the middle off upgrading the web site so i dont know if the new stuff is on there yet but if you have the time it might be worth a trip to see the shop. It is in Tillsonburg ont. Oh and the prices are realy good the most expensive quilting fabric ive seen was 13.50 but most is 12 or less. and its not cheep feeling fabric eather its namer brand not the thin feeling stuff you get at fabricland.

ecmoore - yeah, we visited Lens Mills in KW ( I am west of Stratford) and I saw some lovely Marcus brothers fabric, but I am just not going to pay the price they want when I know what it goes for across the border and can order it from an American company, pay shipping and still get it cheaper than their full price...I was very disappointed as I thought they would have more reasonable prices. I don't understand why the price for yardage and pre-cuts is so much higher here - it shouldn't be, no reason for it at all. I will not pay $49 for a jelly roll that I can get for $29 from an ebay seller...I would like to "shop local" but not if the prices are ridiculously out of line.....thus my reason for starting this thread, thinking that I was somehow missing out on finding some good on-line Canadian or Ontario retailers.

...good advice about the Lewiston UPS - we tend to go Port Huron direction more often, I will ask them if they do the $10 one time deal as well. Mary Maxim has a civil war section as well as lots of current fabrics, and there is also a Joanns, a Hobby Lobby and a LQS all within a few miles of each other.

....before Christmas I found quite a few civil war FQ's including Marcus Bros at Fabricland - I still have the pile out where I can admire them! LOL....and they do have a few prints here and there that I like but I doubt I could match up enough prints for a whole quilt, unless they get in some more updated lines and consistent quality.

..what blogs I like...any of the moda designers - Bonnie and Camile, Schnibbles patterns, Kate Spain, French General, Basic Grey - love their 2012 christmas line!!
    http://www.aquiltinglife.com/
    http://kansastroublesquilters-lynne.blogspot.com/
    http://thepaintedquilt.blogspot.com/...Kaaren is an old friend, we travelled together in the dec painting industry and bought quilting "stuff" for the day when we had the time...she has retired and turned to quilting, I am still very active as a fine artist/art teacher who is hoping to find the time to do some sewing again as I miss it so much!

Lindy - thanks for that link, I hadn't found them...we have friends down in T-burg, might have to pop down for a visit!

JMCDA .... if you can give us an idea as to what you are looking for, we might be able to give some suggestions. ECMoore gave some shops, though there are oh so many more that are within a reasonable driving distance to where you are located. Of course, they may not have what you want ... but then again, we might have been there and can say, oh yes, I bet that's where you want to go!

I'll agree on Len's website being no good. Though for the type of store it is, I wouldn't expect anything outlandish. Qualities vary, but many of the same fabrics as are in the LQS' are there. You just need to read the labels and touchy-feely to know for sure what you are getting. If you're purchasing regular priced fabrics, yes, right up there in $$. However, if you watch for their sales, you can get great sell-off pricing, just that you won't be able to get the coordinating fabrics etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I found cherishedpieces kinda expensive....I know I wouldn't pay $40 for a jelly roll, their accuquilt machine is a bit on the high side also. Even with the exchange rate and shipping, I can purchase alot more over the border...get more the dollar in most cases...I have ordered from cherishedpieces before and would probably again, if there is something I need and it is reasonably priced.

The problem is that the quilt stores have very little leeway over their prices - the price they pay wholesale is higher than the US retail price. This has more to do with the distributors in Canada than the individual shop owners, and, to be honest, it makes me a little sad, because I really want to be able to support them, but it's just not as financially feasible as I'd like. As a result, we're just not going to get fabric as cheap as can be had in the US.

Oh yes, ecmoore - I recognize where the root of the problem is - the distributors are still working on prices from when the Can dollar was way down...there obviously hasn't been enough pressure on them to adjust their prices in line with US prices now that the Can dollar is hovering at par. I want to support them also (again, my reason for this thread) but my taste in fabric plus the cost is unfortunately going to send me over the border for the majority of my purchasing.
    Joann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2