Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ontario and/or Canada fabric sources? >

Ontario and/or Canada fabric sources?

Ontario and/or Canada fabric sources?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM

I found cherishedpieces kinda expensive....I know I wouldn't pay $40 for a jelly roll, their accuquilt machine is a bit on the high side also. Even with the exchange rate and shipping, I can purchase alot more over the border...get more the dollar in most cases...I have ordered from cherishedpieces before and would probably again, if there is something I need and it is reasonably priced.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 AM

The problem is that the quilt stores have very little leeway over their prices - the price they pay wholesale is higher than the US retail price. This has more to do with the distributors in Canada than the individual shop owners, and, to be honest, it makes me a little sad, because I really want to be able to support them, but it's just not as financially feasible as I'd like. As a result, we're just not going to get fabric as cheap as can be had in the US.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Oh yes, ecmoore - I recognize where the root of the problem is - the distributors are still working on prices from when the Can dollar was way down...there obviously hasn't been enough pressure on them to adjust their prices in line with US prices now that the Can dollar is hovering at par. I want to support them also (again, my reason for this thread) but my taste in fabric plus the cost is unfortunately going to send me over the border for the majority of my purchasing.
Joann