Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion about washing fabric before cutting it >

Opinion about washing fabric before cutting it

Opinion about washing fabric before cutting it

Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 PM

i only prewash if there is dye showing when I rub a white paper (very hard) on a fabric. I was told to do this by an LQS owner. i don't have a sensitivity to dyes,etc so no concern there. I don't worry much about shrinkage cause I use lots of steam when I iron the yardage so it shrinks then. I think a lot of the shrinkage that gives that "vintage" looks is because there's shrinkage with bat and backing (although I do wash backing often cause I find wideback needs to be in order to get it straight). I like to hand my washed fabric on the line to dry--less wrinkles!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I used to wash fabric before use but I don't anymore unless it's red or something I know will bleed. I honestly haven't noticed a difference. I find it a pain to wash and dry fabric before I use it. I don't have allergies though, if I did I probably would pre-wash.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 AM

I also pre-wash in hot water. To hopefully control bleeding and shrinkage. If I am concerned, about bleeding, I use Retayne, and let soak in hot water for about 1/2 hour, then finish washing. I don't always use soap. I just washed a wide 108 inch backing in hot water and after washing and drying, it was 102 inches in width. A good reason to pre-wash to me.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:45 AM

I do not pre wash. I will cut off a small piece and wet it and lay it on a white paper towel to see if it bleeds-but I only do that rarely. So far, I have been lucky. I do use color catchers when I wash the quilt.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:14 AM

I always prewash
Old 10-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Very useful article. Thanks for all of your research and taking the time to share it. Bookmarked and saved!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:18 PM

I'm in the pre-wash club. I wash them and then iron and starch them. Good as "new"!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I have had at least one fabric from every color group be a bleeder.

Orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, black and brown have all bled for me.

By the same token, most of the fabrics from all those groups have been color=fast.

I haven't figured out a way - by just looking - which ones are fast and which ones will bleed.

Also - I have had bleeders from "good" brands like Moda and Jinny Beyer for RJR.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:13 PM

I pre-wash everything. I don't like the "smell" fabrics have. I treat just like regular laundry, and dry in the dryer. I take out of dryer, and fold. I iron when needed. I have a friend who gives me a lot of fabric from her massive stash, which has all been pre-washed, and I re wash that. Se has a cat, and a dog, and DH is allergic so it all gets washed.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM

My experience with most, but not all, LQS owners and staff is that they either don't know that their fabrics bleed or they know and won't admit it.

I test everything, pre-wash most fabric, and Retayne those that don't stop bleeding with a soaking.