Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion needed - size of t-shirt quilt >

Opinion needed - size of t-shirt quilt

Opinion needed - size of t-shirt quilt

Old 08-18-2021, 12:55 AM

Default Opinion needed - size of t-shirt quilt

I've been commissioned to make a quilt from 15 t-shirts by a friend - commissioned as in paid. Most of these are concert shirts with large pictures on the front and large pictures or artwork on the back although some are just lists of the dates... I've quoted her price based on size and detail and whether using the t-shirts as part of the backing (two-sided).
If I use all the t-shirts on the front the quilt will end up being queen size (90' x 100") - this seems to be too large and unwieldly. If I put one row of t-shirts on the back the quilt will end up roughly 68" x 80", and the weight will not be much different.
There are a few of the backs that could be cut down to just year and date of the specific concert - I'd be guessing that she attended the closest venue.
The quilt is designed with the t-shirts kept together (front and back) in strips roughly 15" wide. There will be fabric featuring her interests in strips between the main shirt strips and also as needed to keep the strips the same length. Kinda funky.... And some of the shirts are amazing!
Any opinions regarding the size?
Old 08-18-2021, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

All the T-shirt quilts I’ve made were queen sized. The people who wanted them wanted them for their beds
Old 08-18-2021, 08:49 AM

Default T-Shirt Quilt

I have made one with 12 t-shirts 15 1/2 inches with 2 1/2 inch sashing and it is more of a twin size or nice throw! I also put Minky on the back and tie it but the last one i tacked it with the machine bar tack stitch . It has turned out great, nice and cuddly., I've put a cotton backing on them also and tied them with embroidery thread too. You have pin it really well to keep the Minky from shifting.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:59 AM

The one I made for my Grandson this year the size for a double. I want him to take it along and use it in college. That is my thinking anyway- want him to use it.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:50 AM

I usually ask my clients what size quilt they want and how they will use it. Many seem to like queen size if it will be used on a bed. Love to see a picture when you’re done.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:17 PM

Thank you all. The other t-shirt quilts I have made were large throw or long twin size so I wasn't sure if queen-size would be way too big.
It is going to be amazing! Laid it out on the floor today to check on placement and what length to make the centre strip. Will be adding small amounts of prints with her other interests as a sort of "I Spy" for grownups....