Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on next step PLEASE... Rushing this one. >

Opinions on next step PLEASE... Rushing this one.

Opinions on next step PLEASE... Rushing this one.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM

LOve the center panel it is so adorable!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM

I like the scrollwork on the buggy...why not a white strip down each side with either appliqued (ugh!), or embroidered scrollwork in purple down each side...maybe a pinwheel in the center to divide two scrolls on each side...or a tiger even?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
This is where I am now...
I have the tiger graphics cut out and on paper circles - what do you think? I thought it would be nice to change up the hard lines to something softer now. Wonder if I should make them balloons instead of circles??? I'm left with a very tiny yellow sashing on top and bottom and wanted a place to embroider her name and something else. Don't know if I should add one more wide border (white) to embroider on and to highlight quilting or just finish it off with @ 3" wide black border. It is back to square and I thought if I added the white border - it would be wider on top and bottom to elongate it a little. Opinions please.
Now that is JUST TOO CUTE!!! I really like the little tigers in the corners. What about using only one pinwheel on each side, and top and bottom and place it in the center with a solid block on either side of the pinwheel. You could embroidery her name in a solid block. Her birthdate, weight,length in a solid block.Parents name in another block.And last but not least your name and town in another block. I would put these four blocks on the top and bottom of the quilt and just do some cute emb. on the four solid blocks on the side. I think the pinwheels are just a tad large and they do cause one's eye to go to them first. That is going to be just adorable. You are doing such a terrific job on that quilt, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 PM

I love the look of the pinwheels all around it. I would then finish it off with a small yellow and wider dark blue border like it has in the center. You can bind in either yellow or blue. It looks fantastic and I'm sure she will love the finished product whatever you decide. :thumbup:
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by auntdeb
I actually like the pinwheels on just the three sides. I tend to like asymetrical stuff but I think the second way is very cute.
Does your friend like symetrical or asymetrical designs? I much prefer the latter, but have friends who must have total sameness all around.

To me your pinwheels are the perfect size to add movement and life to the design when used with restraint, such as only at top and bottom, or on three sides with a solid or floral or nothing on the other side. I think the four added tigers detract from the center panel, and make the design cutesy instead of striking, which is fine if that's what you're striving for, just not as interesting or unique. I would use the extra pinwheels and the tigers on the back, for a reversible quilt, and add your choice of borders to one of the two layouts you had going originally. Your design sense is excellent, so go with your instincts and your friend's tastes.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 AM

I have the tiger graphics cut out and on paper circles - what do you think? I thought it would be nice to change up the hard lines to something softer now. Wonder if I should make them balloons instead of circles??? I'm left with a very tiny yellow sashing on top and bottom and wanted a place to embroider her name and something else. Don't know if I should add one more wide border (white) to embroider on and to highlight quilting or just finish it off with @ 3" wide black border. It is back to square and I thought if I added the white border - it would be wider on top and bottom to elongate it a little. Opinions please.
Adorable!

I wouldn't finish with a black border, that's too hard for my taste for a baby quilt. Do you have anymore of the purple fabric?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 AM

I think I'd like to do something different now around the whole thing, then add the remaining pinwheels in a more staggered way. I think some purple/gold floral in there somewhere might even be nice. I can also add some embroidery in there somewhere. My question is this:

What would you do next?????[/quote]

I would put a yellow/purple piano key border around what you have so far.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:03 AM

You did it! I like this much better. Love the corners. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 AM

I love the finished product (or almost finished) and if you go with a white border, embroider in purple but if you use black, embroider the baby's name in gold/yellow. But I love the circles and I think maybe balloons would look off. Whatever you choose, it will be great!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 AM

Love it just the way it is, go for it!