Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions on Ott Lites please.. >

opinions on Ott Lites please..

opinions on Ott Lites please..

Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM

I currently have 5 Ott Lites in my house. I have them for both of my machines, my ironing board and two for reading. My husband made fun of me for buying that weird looking light for the den so I could do handwork. Then one night he sat on the couch and liked the Ott Lite so well, I bought him one, too.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't care for the Ott lights, I think they are way overpriced.
that's how they strike me, too. Plus, I can't stand the fat plastic rim around the magnifier, for some reason. So, what I've always done ( including my 4 years of low vision) is to use a combination of a swing arm lamp from Staples or similar that clamps to my sewing table or near where I hand-sew, with a slider dimmer, to fine-tune both position and brightness AND a rimless floor magnifier that can be pivoted to any height and position. The floor magnifier I ordered from a Lighthouse for the Blind just before the ottlite came out. It's brand is Big Eye and it has a 5" lens. It has a light, but I didn't care for the light beating down on the back of my hand while I was embroidering. Using the pivoting lamp, I can shine it anywhere and at any brightness I want. I find this solution to be most flexible.

Hugs, charlotte
Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM

I have 2 floor lamps, 1 table top, and 2 desk lamps that are Ott and love them! I just got 2 more desk lamps for mine great nephew and his roommate to take to college in August. I sew and read with them and they really help. I also have another floor lamp with the magnifier and have the same problem of it being top heavy but when I am doing fine sewing, it is wonderful.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM

I have 4 of them. 2 floors one by my machine and 1 by the cutting table. two table ones. I also bought one for my mother for her bedstand, so she can read at night. Used 50% coupons at Joanns, and 1 floor lamp was discounted.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 PM

I have the Ott portable table lamp....like it a lot.
Used a Hobby Lobby 40% coupon on it.
It is getting old but still using original "bulb".
Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 PM

I have a door stand one. I'm the doofus who set fire to her recliner with the magnifying glass, so cover it lol.
Personally I love AND hate it. I wish I could adjust the brightness, coz when embroidering on light coloured fabrics the glare is too much. Also when embroidering with rayons and metallics, too much
Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 PM

Sorry, floor not door
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 AM

I have about 5 of them! The light is great! I keep a flip top one next to my couch on the floor hidden that my DH and I often use on a whim. I buy them at Joanns with at least a 50% coupon. Love them!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 AM

We have 4 OTTs….3 are mine and the other is anyone caring to use it!!!
I love mine but the last one I purchased was the portable/battery operated one…I was not too pleased with it. It did give bright light but the batteries did not last long at all! I wrote to Ott as I thought perhaps they recommended a particular battery and got a reply very quickly…and they were quite helpful. They did not suggest any certain battery but did tell me that I might want to purchase an adapter…which I did (at Radio Shack) and I love, love, love my little light weight portable lamp……..it goes everywhere with me.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM

I love Ott lights! I have had a floor model for over 12 yrs and have never replaced the bulb. I have 2 models that attach to both my sewing machine table and cutting board. I like how they don't take up needed room. I did buy one of the fancier models--silver--for reading and handwork in my bedroom, but I don't think they put out the same amount of light as the original styles--guess I like the light bulb that is in "bar form" as I call it. The light bulbs that look like the shape of a normal light bulb aren't as bright in my opinion. I have purchased lights at Big Lots that were off brands--they have worked fine and are definitely cheaper. One thing to keep in mind---some of the other lights get quite warm and before you know it you feel like you are lying under the sun at the beach. Never any problems like that with the OTT!