Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opportunity Question? >

Opportunity Question?

Opportunity Question?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 AM

Sergers generally are not used in piecing a quilt top.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
I have the opportunity to purchase a Janome Serger 204D machine for $200.00. A friend I've known for over 40 years received it last Christmas from her husband. She told me she just hasn't been able to bond with it and wants to sell it. It is still in the box. She has offered to let me take it home and use it to see if I like it before purchasing.

Now my DH is willing to get if for me for Christmas if I want it. The problem is I don't know enough about quilting to know if I might need this machine. I am working on my first quilt top, I've just had so many family issues that I haven't had time to do any sewing.
I have had a serger almost since they first came out. Am now on my third one. I wouldn't be without it but not for quilts. It puts too much thread into the seams. I only use it on quilts when I'm making a wall quilt or a pillow with fabric that frays badly. I use it all the time for my garment sewing. Best seam finisher in the world.
I have Singer sewing machines now that I am using. And whenever I do get my quilt tops finished I want to machine quilt them myself.

So for those of you who have the knowledge, should I seriously consider this machine? If my life slows down enough for me to get serious about quilting like I hope, would I use it? (In case you cant' tell, I'm not even sure what a serger is used for.)

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 AM

I have had mine for 15 years and I go around every quilt after it is quilted. It makes it easier for me to put on the bindings.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 AM

I've had a serger for a number of years. Use it mostly for clothing, but recently started making pillow cases and it is great for the finished seams.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 AM

I have had a serger for 20 years and keep it handy,it sits behind my regular machine and I switch places when I need it. I use it for sewing the long seams for backings, it cuts off the selvedge and leaves a thin seam that don't need pressing. I use it sometimes on the outer edges of quilts, it cuts through the backing batting and top and leaves a nice flat edge for binding, if I were more dexterous, I could appley the binding at the same time but that takes some fancy coordination. I use mine for rolled edges onlinen, use a colored thread and do the outer edges of bookmarks, and have made quilt tops with it. I found a book on making quilts with the serger. You can sew squares together, one after the other, don't cut them apart, when you have the number you want, unfold the squares, match them up and they are ready to go the other direction. Find a book on using a serger, it can be used in so many different ways for practical and decorative work. With use you will get experience and read the directions. Mine also has the chain stitch which I have used for basting and seams, just like professional sewing. Patience helps and a determination to master the machine.

Carol J.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Serger - I use mine for finishing raw edges before washing fabric

Also - if one makes bags/purses/totes - serged edges really look nicer and wear better than raw edges.
I have avoided prewashing like the plague just because of the fraying issue.
I have made two duvet covers as I really prefer to sleep under down than quilts! I used a friend's serger then. Now that I have moved I am thinking about buying one for myself. I asked here on the board which I should buy and most people said Babylock. Yesterday I stopped at a shop to look. They had a Brother on sale that appeals to me, but I don't know anything about them. Also, they had Janome and spoke highly of them. Unfortunately, they don't carry Babylocks. The Brother is self-threading which I really like. Now I am really conflicted as I was READY to buy a Babylock!
I make quilts because I like the way they look, but I think I'd make more duvet covers if I had a serger. Serge potholders etc sounds like a great idea. as did the prewash serging! Sounded like a great price. Don't think you can go wrong!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Does anyone use a serger to sew around the edge before binding?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
Does anyone use a serger to sew around the edge before binding?
I do... I actually use it to attach the binding. I find that it lays flat when I do the hand stitching after and makes it easier. At least I think so.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 AM

I have used the serger for sewing around a quilt before adding the binding, works great. Take your time and don't pull or push the layers, makes them nice and even and FLAT!

Or use the serger and sew around the outside using the sandwich method, rights sides together with a batting or flannel on top, leave a foot open for turning and sew a curve on the corners intead of square; turn right side out and slip stitch by hand or sew around outer edges with your regular sewing machine. I like this for baby quilts especially.

Carol J.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
I have the opportunity to purchase a Janome Serger 204D machine for $200.00. A friend I've known for over 40 years received it last Christmas from her husband. She told me she just hasn't been able to bond with it and wants to sell it. It is still in the box. She has offered to let me take it home and use it to see if I like it before purchasing.

Now my DH is willing to get if for me for Christmas if I want it. The problem is I don't know enough about quilting to know if I might need this machine. I am working on my first quilt top, I've just had so many family issues that I haven't had time to do any sewing.

I have Singer sewing machines now that I am using. And whenever I do get my quilt tops finished I want to machine quilt them myself.

So for those of you who have the knowledge, should I seriously consider this machine? If my life slows down enough for me to get serious about quilting like I hope, would I use it? (In case you cant' tell, I'm not even sure what a serger is used for.)

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
I personally don't use my serger all that much, and don't think its of much use for quilting. If you sew other things, its great for seam finishes, but any zig zag can overcast edges, just not as nice. Hope this helps. :-)