Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orange Peel quilt - layout opinions! >

Orange Peel quilt - layout opinions!

Orange Peel quilt - layout opinions!

Old 11-23-2018, 02:09 PM

So 8 peels it is! And for the person who asked - it's applique. I've already mastered curves, and had no desire to do that many! I am hoping to have it done by Christmas for a friend!

Thanks all
Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 AM

I wouldn't use the black border squares. Makes it too busy and it takes away from the pretty center.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 AM

this will be beautiful. I think you should use all four, it makes the quilt a little different and interesting, or you could do two with the 8 peels and two with one of the others. It will be spectacular either way.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Beautiful. The 8 peels draws the eye and adds a nice sized "Peel Flower" to the center squares.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:23 PM

that is very nice!!!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 03:37 PM

I also prefer the 8 peel block because it has more substance for the center section of your quilt. Also, the ones using only 4 are too much like the ones in the grid where they come together, so nothing to make the center stand out and say look at me!
Old 11-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
First I have to comment what an innovative setting this is for Orange Peel! Lovely work Marion, you are always stretching the envelope and the results are always fantastic.

I think this would look outstanding if you made each of the 4 black blocks in the center the 8 peel block.
Thank you! I try! I always find a pic of a quilt I like, and then I end up changing it!
Old 11-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by just janet View Post
I wouldn't use the black border squares. Makes it too busy and it takes away from the pretty center.

Too late LOL but thanks for the suggestion for a future one!
Old 11-25-2018, 03:14 PM

So I have sewn it all together and it's going to be for my friend's parrot (he loves blankets) ... I'm just going to put a backing on it, and do a quick job of stitching it together, no batting.

I have to say that I am not pleased with the method of applique that I used. I will not be using that method again. I found a tutorial on youtube, I won't say by who, because that's not allowed! But the method called for using fusible interface (fusible on one side only) ... sew the fusible side to the front of the peel, cut a slit in it and turn it inside "right". Run your fingers along the seam, use a "purple thing" to make your points, and then iron it down.

Well, I don't know or have a "purple thing" so I was using some non-pointy scissors - sometimes I got the point, other times not. On some of the peels, the seam just wouldn't lay flat, so some of the interfacing is showing. When it came to ironing it - it wouldn't stick. No matter how long I left the iron on there. I tried ironing the interface to the fabric, and it worked, but through the layers - no.

And to top it all off, the peels are kind of wonky because I couldn't get the seams (when I turned it inside right) to be flush.

So, it's a parrot blanket. The next time I do applique, I'm going with the tried and true method - I know that method, and it works well!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 PM

I love lavender but I am leaning toward the one to the left of the 8 pointed one.