Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oreck Iron >

Oreck Iron

Oreck Iron

Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 AM

Smile Oreck Iron

I have an Oreck Vacuum Cleaner and the little one they have, but I never knew they had an iron. It is a cordless steam iron. I have a neighbor that has one, but she has only used it a few times. Do you have one? Is it a good one? She told me that it turns off automatically, and heats up fast. And then I read some of the reviews on the Oreck Iron and some said they hated it.

Santa Claus is coming soon and I am not one for unnecessaries, so I would like to add a new iron to my wish list that consists of an electric frying pan and a stove top griddle (two burner size) (I have done my homework here). But sometimes I want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth - Is the Oreck Iron any good for a quilter??????? (I have been listening to you all and have a cheap $7.99 one that I recently replaced with a $1.00 garage sale Black and Decker. I don't like that one very much. It catches the fabric and I am ironing constantly on one little 1/2 square triangle and I don't have time for that!

Thank you for your help. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Edie
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 AM

I have one. I love not having a cord to get in the way. I keep it next to my sewing machine and use it for sewing only. The iron gets hot but the base stays cool. Not sure how they work if you use it for a long period of time because you have to put it back on the base to keep it heated. With sewing I never have to wait for it to re-heat because I'm only using it for a short time and then rest it back in the base while I sew again. I'm very happy with it.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 AM

I have a Rowenta, have owned it for several years and I absolutely love it! I have owned Black & Decker, Proctor Silex, etc. They did not work well for ironing wrinkles out of fabric. My opinion is you need to find an iron that has good weight to it. The B & D and Proctor Silex just are not heavy enough to remove wrinkles well. I think the weight of the iron has just as much to do with the performance as the heat does. Go out & compare the weights of different irons and you'll see what I mean. I had a Sunbeam that I got as a wedding gift back in 1975 and it worked good as well (it was good & heavy), so maybe a good vintage iron would suit your needs.

Hope this helps,
Becky
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 AM

I have the Oreck and do love it- not for long term as it cools too quickly, but it is great for small pieces, pressing seams, etc.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

i have one [not oreck]. i really love not having the cord. sometimes, however, it turns off before i'm done pressing - only on big projects it has ton's of steam, too
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 AM

I've had a Sunbeam for several years that I love! Have not heard of the Oreck, though.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM

I have always wanted one of the Oreck's just missed one at a garage sale. I have the "Shark" it's heavy and puts out a lot of steam when I need it. But I also have a Crofton that I got at Aldi's 12 years ago and it works great and turns off without the beeping (which I can't stand) and it heats right back up. I have a really "Old" cordless iron that has to be from the 50's which works great got it at a thrift store. See if you can't go and try it out at the store.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 AM

I had one. For me it was too heavy, and I didn't like it turning off and on. I always felt I had to wait while it heated up again! So I bought a very inexpensive Proctor iron with a teflon sole plate. It is a steam iron, but I have never used it as such. Just use it dry for pressing pieces. I like it very much because it is very light and for me, that is a plus. :-)
Hope you find your perfect iron.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:10 AM

I miss the old fashioned ones that didn't turn off automaticallly. I know it is for safety sake, but I sure hate it when I need one to stay on for long periods between sewing and ironing.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Oreck iron

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs View Post
I miss the old fashioned ones that didn't turn off automaticallly. I know it is for safety sake, but I sure hate it when I need one to stay on for long periods between sewing and ironing.
I think mine must be the old one. When I sit it back on the stand and then go to use it, it's always nice and hot. I found mine at a flea market for $5 and it had never been used.