Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organic Quilting? >

Organic Quilting?

Organic Quilting?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Organic quilting I would take to mean free form and spontaneous.
This is what I take it to mean, also. It all depends on what they're talking about. If they're talking about supplies and materials, they're probably referring to chemical and pesticide free. If they're talking about design, they're probably referring to the "free form and spontaneous" idea, or maybe another way of describing it would be "naturally occurring".

In my opinion, it's gotten to be an annoying, overused, and trendy buzz word. It's so overused (in everything from food to architecture to music to auto design) that it's sort of lost its meaning.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
RST

Peckish -- I live in organic central of the US -- the term doesn't bother me at all, but I can see where you'd find the over-application to be annoying-- specially when everything from sheets to shampoo is labeled "organic".

However, in the context of an art style (and I'd class quilting as an art), it's a well established, long-used term; way back in art history classes in the early 80s I had elderly profs assigning readings about the "organic elements in Romantic period art and architecture."