Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organising threads and bobbins >

organising threads and bobbins

organising threads and bobbins

Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM

I also have 4 wood thread holder on the wall and keep the bobbins in small plastic bobbin holders. And my serger thread is in sets of 4 by color in 2 drawers in one of those "plastic dressers". I divided the inside of the drawer in squares with cardboard (on the idea like they make divided ornament boxes) and it all stays neat.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Some great ideas here - thankyou. I see more organisation in my life...!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 AM

I have a couple of bobbin box organizers, here's one on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Bobbin-Box-Org...8226789&sr=8-1
But you can get them anywhere, Nacy's Notions sells them here's one from her http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/bobbin+box.do . Nancy also offers the same ones as Amazon.com as a 2 pack deal. Mine are more clear hard plastic like the 2nd link that Nancy offers. They're cheap and easy to see your bobbins.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 06-16-2011, 05:18 AM

My hubby made me a hanging cabinet with a glass door so that I can tell in a minute just what I have. I always put the bobbin right on top of the corresponding spool but have changed that idea.

Since I use all the same type of thread, I have a small box with the bobbins and just have to match the colors.

The bobbins didn't like sitting on top of the spools and if the cabinet jerked when opened, I was picking up bobbins from all over the place.

Have a separate box for the machine quilting bobbins......seems to work for me.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM

I use the toe separaters that they use when you get a pedicure. They hold 4 bobbins and I love them!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I just watched a video on this yesterday and I thought it was great and it won't cost you a thing. The lady takes the spool of thread and the bobbin that was wound with that thread and puts a straight pin in the top of it and puts the bobbin on the staight pin. You now know exactly what type of thread is on the bobbin and a storage place for it. You can also go to the $ store and get the pony tail holders for little kids (the fat ones with alot of material round them) and put them on your bobbins to keep them from unraveling.
That is what I do. It works great. I also match the color of the pony tail holder to the thread on the bobbin or get as close as possible.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I use the toe separaters that they use when you get a pedicure. They hold 4 bobbins and I love them!!!
That's a great idea.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM

I do a lot of machine embroider and have lots of thread
for that as well as quilting thread. I buy the plastic boxes
in the toy dept that are meant for hot wheels cars. Even the longer embroidery thread fits in them. I use bobbin boxes for bobbins but they would fit in the slot with the thread. These boxes are opaque and sturdy and each will hold 48 spools. Get them at Walmart for about $7.00. cheaper than going to the fabric store!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM

if you have the wooden spool rack that hangs on the wall you can extend the peg length by slipping a section of a drinking straw over it ant that way both spool and bobbin fit
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 AM

I purchased a plastic container that was in the fishing tackle dept at Walmart to hold my thread. If you don't use the dividers you can fit a lot of thread. It stays "clean".