Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organising threads and bobbins >

organising threads and bobbins

organising threads and bobbins

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 AM

How do you keep your threads and bobbins organised? Because I have to watch my budget, I like to know what thread is on my bobbins, so that if I use that thread again I can finish what's on the bobbin, but I've never worked out a way of doing it. I tried the little pink thingies that go round the bobbin and into the top of the spool of thread - but then how do you store the spools, because they're now such an awkward size?!
I'd be glad of suggestions.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 AM

I have bobbin box organizers. You can get them at Amazon. They are plastic and have foam in them and the bobbins stay right where you put them. My thread is on wooden organizers on the wall. Got them at Joann's with coupons. Love them both.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 AM

I have neutrals and often used colors of my piecing thread in my machine accessories boxes, right with the feet, etc, next to each machine. Then I have bobbins on the red plastic things that hold your spool and bobbin together, for less frequently used threads. I have a bobbin donut with the bobbins left from a crappy ol' machine I had for many years. My kids use that thread for hand sewing practice and unimportant stuff. I have a bobbin donut I bought from Connecting Threads filled with 36 different colors of Masterpiece. I've been using that for hand appliqué, with great results. I keep my thread in plastic boxes in a drawer, away from dust and light, so some bobbins go in there, next to the matching spools. Finally, I have some bobbins of my machine quilting thread in a tray. My main machines use bobbins which are easily distinguished from each other and the only bobbins which aren't with the matching spools of thread are the piecing threads and some quilting threads labeled by wt (40, 28, 12). HTH :)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 AM

Same here...rubber bobbin holders and thread racks
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Same here...rubber bobbin holders and thread racks
I never thought about doing this but its a great idea. I currently have the plastic thread boxes and plastic bobbin boxes from JoAnns when they were 50% off

This is me thinking out loud - I wonder if you could fit that rubber shelf lining or felt over the spindles so it covers the bottom of box so the bobbins wouldnt slip around. I may have to give it a try. It would be great to keep them together - sometimes some of my threads are so close in color that I grab the wrong ones lol

Will keep watching for more ideas!! cheryl :-)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I got some 3X4" ziploc baggies. I put the thread and bobbin (if I have one) in the baggie & seal. Then I throw the baggie into a plastic shoe box. One for neutrals, one for pastels & one for brights. The baggie keeps the thread clean, the bobbin with it and keeps both from unspooling. this size bag will fit the essential thread spool size (1200 yds) from CT. I get the baggies at the dollar store.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 AM

I use the ziploc bags as well and they are in a clear plastic box.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 AM

You can tie the spools and bobbins together with pipe cleaners. They don't fit in typical spool holders but they work in drawer or on the desktop.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 AM

I have my threads sorted by color in the small plastic containers. If it's 100% cotton thread or a blend, they're in separate containers. With the 100% cotton thread if I have leftover bobbin thread, I put it and the spool of thread in a "snack" baggie and put the whole thing in the appropriate container. Try some of the suggestions given and see what works best for you.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I got some 3X4" ziploc baggies. I put the thread and bobbin (if I have one) in the baggie & seal. Then I throw the baggie into a plastic shoe box. One for neutrals, one for pastels & one for brights. The baggie keeps the thread clean, the bobbin with it and keeps both from unspooling. this size bag will fit the essential thread spool size (1200 yds) from CT. I get the baggies at the dollar store.
This is a great idea...........I'm going to try it! Thanks☺