Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing for 2010 - any tips >

Organizing for 2010 - any tips

Organizing for 2010 - any tips

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 AM

I only recently started sorting out my own craft room and decided on tall shelves to stock all my quilting and craft books, albums, notions, papercrafting and of course, my fabric.

The other day on going to get a book off one of the shelves I decided it would be nice to have a couple of shelves left for work in progress and fabric I had cut ready to sew, so some things are now piled back on the bed whilst I sort it out into more subsections. Still haven't bought the baskets I was to use as the shop only had two of the ones the I really wanted in stock.

My room isn't big enough to be divided, but would something like the Japanese shoji screens work?
They're light, and light can penetrate through the white/light paper/fabric of the screens. If a sliding door can also be used on runners, then you haven't got the added bulk of having another door that opens wide into the room.
Put the guest bed in the room as you go in, then you can close off your private craft/quilt room at the other end. Unless they're nosey, they have no excuse to get near your work area.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM

An extra bed is a great place to store your quilts. You can just keep stacking one on top of the other. Dont partition it off it makes a great display that you can change whenever you want. Quilted pillows on the bed also. Under the bed is a great plaace for storage. Store your messy quilting stuff in the closet. Decorate the whole room with a quilting theme.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 AM

I was thinking the same thing...I REALLY need to finish some of the stuff I have money stuck into....How does one do that, stay out of quilt shops, don't go shopping anywhere near fabric, etc? I won two block swaps at guild last year that are just sitting in a draw, what a waste but I keep doing them.. :thumbdown:
Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 AM

I found a plastic storage container at WalMart for $3. It has a handle on it and snap locks. It seems to work well to keep all the fabrics for a particular project(s) together. It would have room for threads, etc. Now I have three, they stack, and they fit nicely in my cabinet where all fabrics are stored. It's clear plastic with a teal handle and locks on the side. Hope it works for you.

Emjay
Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Make everyone in the house move out! Then you will have a room for each project.

No seriously, I put them in plastic baggies and label them.
What goes in the baggies? The people or the projects? :)
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 AM

On a more serious note... how about a solution that can do double duty? Make some kind of screen, either hanging from the ceiling or free standing, and cover the sewing room side with felt (or the backside of a plastic table cloth) to make a design board?