Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing cut pieces pre-block assembly ? >

Organizing cut pieces pre-block assembly ?

Organizing cut pieces pre-block assembly ?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Organizing cut pieces pre-block assembly ?

I am about to start cutting for a quilt with quite a number of different shaped/sized/coloured pieces and was wondering about techniques you might use to keep everything organised prior to block assembly ?

As a beginner so far I have only had to deal with a limited number of shapes so I could just stack them on the end of my table until I was ready to use them.

What are the tricks / systems / methods you use to keep everything organised ?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM

I put them in plastic bags with a note that gives size, which step it is used in and if I have changed a color in the patter I will put the original color used on the bag for refrence so if I am cutting a 6 1/2 sq for step 4 and the pattern says to use red but I want to use green the note reads;
6 1/2 sq
step 4
red to green
When quilt is done I through away my notes and reuse the bags.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Plastic baggies are nice for keeping things organized. I buy them by the box. I like the gal. & Qt. sizes. You can label them or I just slip a piece of paper into the bag. That way I can use the bags over again. I also like those bins sold at JoAnn's. Right now they are on sale for $9.99. I have a lot of them. I've also heard that some like pizza boxes--new--of course. All these things stack, so you stay kinda neat. lol
Sue
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM

I will be watching this topic to find out some of the same anwers. I've got a pattern I want to do and as soon as I get one more fabric I will be starting the cutting process. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Hay, Gramie bj, looks like we were both typing at the same time. Great minds think alike--lol.
Sue
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM

when i cut my pcs, i play with the combos, get them set and then i stack them on a large bath towel which i place to the right of my machine.... then i pick up the same 2 pcs and sew together all the way down the stack. I press while still chained together, then open and press to the dark side... now clip apart into the 2 pc sections that you just made, very carefully stacking face down in the same order you sewed them. Flip the entire stack and put sections back on the towel. decide what to sew together next.... another 2 pcs or the new 2pc section onto a 3rd pc. just keep repeating this action.... when you're finished for the day, fold the towel over and roll up, placing rubber band around the end of the towel.... the toweling clings to the fabric well and keeps everything in the same order and in the same place, and free of dust, (in case you don't get back to it right away). when you finish the last two sections, you will have all your blocks complete at the same time.... and ready to lay out and decide how to seam the rows... This way, if the stack gets hit or pushed off the table, nothing is lost...