Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organizing fabric color order or type? >

organizing fabric color order or type?

organizing fabric color order or type?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM

I keep mine organized by pending projects. I keep the rest by color but I have to keep them in the plastic tubs because if I left it on on shelves it would get to dusty and I wouldn't be able to work with it since I have a dust allergy. I find here in Fl. it's either the AC or the fans that create dust. I wish I could get them on the shelves pictured above I love that. Sue
Old 03-01-2014, 07:52 AM

I'm organizing my fabric now.. it's a horrible mess... It went though the tornado, got sent out to be cleaned, plus I have my MIL's how passed away, and fabric that was sent to me.... This is how I'm doing it.

I sort first by type of fabric, cottons, flannels, blends, etc. Any collections that came together or if I find another piece of it, those stay together. They were meant to go together and always look great together.

Then I sort out special ones like seasonals, keeping Christmas, halloween, easter, etc. together. If it is a short, 1/4 or 1/2 yard, they are kept separately, but sorted the same way. After the collections and special fabrics are out I sort according to color, stacked from light to dark.

All my fabric is folder by ruler and I've attached a small piece of paper telling me how much yardage is there and if there is any other thing that needs consideration like a flaw or a missing part... It is a daunting task to get it all in order again.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Sorry….but another question about using comic/foam boards to ruler fold your fabrics. How small a piece of fabric do you fold on the boards? I usually don't buy more than a yard or yard and half unless I will be using it for backing. We will be moving in a few months and I will have a dedicated room for my quilting (yea!). Trying to decide how I want to set it up. Right now I have all the fabric stored in plastic bins by color except for some flannel (well actually flannel IS in a plastic bin too).
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM

I put up to 3 yds or so on comic book boards. I use several stacked for larger amounts of yardage. For 3 yds I use about 4 or 5 boards. I bought a pack of 100 when I didn't realize I had almost an entire full pack already so I have plenty to use them this way.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Sorry….but another question about using comic/foam boards to ruler fold your fabrics. How small a piece of fabric do you fold on the boards? I usually don't buy more than a yard or yard and half unless I will be using it for backing. We will be moving in a few months and I will have a dedicated room for my quilting (yea!). Trying to decide how I want to set it up. Right now I have all the fabric stored in plastic bins by color except for some flannel (well actually flannel IS in a plastic bin too).
I put anything 3/4 yd or more on my foam cord boards. 1/2 yd or less gets folded the same way I fold my FQs and gets stored with them. I cut my foam core boards 5" x 12"
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 AM

I use comic book boards to fold my 1yd+ fabrics and usually by color. If I am collecting an entire fabric collection I'll keep them together in case I want to make a quilt just using that particular collection. Right now I'm folding up my latest shipment from Connecting Threads as they put a bunch of basic collections on clearance such as the tiny dots, tiny stars, some mirage colors, etc. These I will keep together in case I want to make a quilt just using stars or dots, etc. Just my take and I'm sure others have a completely different set up for their fabrics.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM

I agree with auntpiggylpn. I have (or in the process of) mine on comic boards. I sort by holiday, florals are together, colors separate, themed/children's prints, I have my patriotic fabrics together, my batiks are sorted by color but stored together not with the regular "colored" fabrics. Flannels are together, etc. For fabric that I have a lot of, I leave/store it on the bolt.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:51 PM

I sort my big pieces, 1+ yard by color. I separate my batiks and my Japanese prints from the others, and they are also sorted by color. I keep my scraps separate, and my fat quarters separate. I have small bins for them and separate the fq's by color, as well as by genre. Sounds difficult, but it really isn't.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:49 PM

I'm a firm believer in organizing and storing things by how I would normally look for them when I want to use them. It works for everything...file folders, books, kitchen utensils, clothes, fabric, everything.

I look for fabric by color, it's that simple, so that's how I store it. I have no seasonal, holiday, novelty, juvenile, themed, large scale, flannel, or fleece fabrics...pretty much nothing but blenders, solids, small scale prints, and batiks. All my fabrics read as single colors, so organizing and storage is very easy for me, as is finding exactly what I want in the least amount of time. It's worked perfectly for me for many, many years without any major overhaul...just lots of additions.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 PM

I keep my fabric by purpose ie: Christmas, children prints, than I sort the rest by color. I do have fabric for projects in boxes so they don't get used for something else.