Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing Fabric Question >

Organizing Fabric Question

Organizing Fabric Question

Old 12-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Here's what I posted in the other thread.
I tend to buy fabrics from a single line or ones that I picked out to go together so I store them together like that. But right now they are folded and stuffed into a cabinet. I bought some of those comic book boards to fold them onto and organize but they seem kinda flimsy. I read about it on several blogs. I know about the plastic sign material but I couldn't find a sign shop that has it around here.

Here is the thread-there are some more ideas in it:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-83589-1.htm
Old 12-18-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't have a very big stash...yet. But I organize by colour (including prints with that colour predominantly), longest yardage to smallest (FQ) piled up. I also organize by project and keep fabrics for one project together in one of those zip up bags you get with sheet sets or blankets.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RkayD
I do mine mostly by color. Makes it easier to see what I've got...I also used the foam boards so that my fabric sits up like bolts. I went to Lowe's and bought a pkg of the foam floor underlayment for $37..I got hundreds out of it as opposed to the 4-5 you get from the art foam boards at $4 each. Made a huge difference in actually seeing what I have. My FQ's are stored by color in a wooden shoe storage cabinet. Perfect. My scraps are also sorted by color...this picture of my scrap buckets were taken last year...its exploed since then...=) that means I've been sewing!! =)
Love your storage
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
MTS
Banned

.I also used the foam boards so that my fabric sits up like bolts. I went to Lowe's and bought a pkg of the foam floor underlayment for $37..I got hundreds out of it as opposed to the 4-5 you get from the art foam boards at $4 each.
Isn't it amazing the stuff one can find in a DIY store that can be used for purposes I'm sure the vendors never intended? :D
Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Wow! what a stash Ronna. Love how you have it organized.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:23 AM

The fabric shops around here have oodles of the empty cardboards the fabrics come on and they just bundle them up and garbage them. If you ask, they will GIVE you all you want just so they can get rid of them the easy way.
When you wrap your fabric on them, label the end of each cardboard with the amount of yardage you have on each of them, shelve them by color and you can tell at first glance what you have. Store other smaller fabs in bins labeled scraps, holiday, solids, prints, etc. I have a shortage of space and find this way works the best for me.
Good Luck! Now you can enjoy more time sewing and less time searching.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 AM

Color in transparent shoe boxes. When you are limited to space, I think that works the best. Edie
Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 AM

I do mine mostly by color. Makes it easier to see what I've got...I also used the foam boards so that my fabric sits up like bolts. I went to Lowe's and bought a pkg of the foam floor underlayment for $37..I got hundreds out of it as opposed to the 4-5 you get from the art foam boards at $4 each. Made a huge difference in actually seeing what I have. My FQ's are stored by color in a wooden shoe storage cabinet. Perfect. My scraps are also sorted by color...this picture of my scrap buckets were taken last year...its exploed since then...=) that means I've been sewing!! =)
Thanks for sharing pictures and what you use. I feel I should have bought stock in the foam core. I'm not even close to having enough. Will check with my Lowe's today!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:44 AM

I need to do that before I buy anymore material, seems like I'am duplicating myself, not that it won't be used. I have a lot of squares all sizes and triangles all sizes that I have in plastic boxes that I bought at the $1 store. I also have 2 3 drawer plastic bins that I have my strips in. Never thought of the foam boards for flooring to organize my stash, I have to check that out.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM

That's a great tip! I was going to buy those too. I've wanted to store my material like this. I don't think I will be as NEAT as you, but you are a good organizer for me to strive to be like. I gotta get to Lowe's.